TC Finalizers and other mastering mix hardware

glenn taylor

Hey gents I have been using a finalizer for a long time. I know many people either love or hate this unit. Some love to hate. Does anyone have any experience with other hardware boxes that one can run their mixes through or use for mastering? I have the older TC finalizer before the 96k. The screen is slowly dying so I am trying a DBX Quantum and like it. What else is there?:confused:

I used to use the CD Final or something on my old Triple C years ago when I was first starting out. Out of production though

I still have a Quantum II -- At this point, just as a backup converter set or for occasional upsampling or what not.

There are plugs out there these days that really spank most of the digital hardware...

I still have a Quantum II -- At this point, just as a backup converter set or for occasional upsampling or what not.

There are plugs out there these days that really spank most of the digital hardware...
So there are few new hardware boxes to mix to. Instead people are using good convertors and using plug ins later.

I saw your web site. Wow! Also it looks like you have done a lot of good work with some artist,s I have been listening to the last few years. GT

it would be worth it in the long run,
to give up on the hardware units,
and setup a good PC/mac with appropriate software.

if you have the cash, put it into mastering EQ's,, comps and limiters.

but it will still end up in the digital format, every year that goes by,
the software catches up with the best hardware.

it would be worth it in the long run,
to give up on the hardware units,
and setup a good PC/mac with appropriate software.

if you have the cash, put it into mastering EQ's,, comps and limiters.

but it will still end up in the digital format, every year that goes by,
the software catches up with the best hardware.
You are right. 15 years ago I had a gml 8200 and a vari mu and learned it was all about getting it right during the mix.
I do have ok plug ins,but limit their use do to my theory of fixing most everything in the mix. Today I am semi retired do to health issues and don,t have budgets to get to use a pro mastering engineer. Have been using a mac mastering computer if needed after the DBX Quantum or Finalizer.

I've got the tc triple C, my friend let me borrow it...having used it a few times I MUCH prefer plug-in's, it's a piece of crap, the fabfilter pro MB is phenominal sounding in comparison and can do so much more.

The finalizer and the triple c are two different things.

But you can get a little farther with plugins, especially since you can mix and mach plugins to the source material. Using hardware, you have one set of tools that you have to apply to everyting that comes through.

Back