Tascam dr-07 pro recording?

grh

I own a Tascam dr-07 portable digital recorder. If I go line in from my korg x50 synth, assuming the connection is clear, would the tascam recorder give me professional quality? I have the ability to record in 16 bit, and 24 bit wav with the tascam. I am also going to be recording myself playing just one synth sound at a time. I will not be layering sounds on one another.

How does it sound when you've tried this?

I have not tried it in years, and it is kind of an ordeal for me to get the tascam recorder. I assume you are saying if it sounds good, it is good? I wanted to know if I could get the same quality recording with the tascam, as a pc with a good interface?

Yes, and, no. You won't have a great front end, but what is it you need ?

If you wanted to sell samples, maybe not. I record synths to old recorders all the time at 16/44. But, what is a good interface ? $500 vs a device that was engineered to run on two AA batteries

Modern cheap consumer gear is leaps and bounds ahead of what top-end professional gear was decades ago, so it's possible to to make some form of "professional"-sounding recording with pretty much anything. (I've heard rumors that Skrillex's first few recordings were done on a laptop with only 1 working speaker, and he won a Grammy for that)

Really, it boils down to:
1. Does your source sound like you want it to? i.e. do the instruments, etc in the room sound good to you?
2. Does the interface accurately capture that sound? i.e. is the noise floor low enough and the sample rate high enough?

Yes, and, no. You won't have a great front end, but what is it you need ?

If you wanted to sell samples, maybe not. I record synths to old recorders all the time at 16/44. But, what is a good interface ? $500 vs a device that was engineered to run on two AA batteries

I am looking to record loops/samples, that would sound good, to where a professional producer or songwriter would wan't to use them. Homemusicstudio1.com has an interface they say is great, for I believe a little over a hundred.

Modern cheap consumer gear is leaps and bounds ahead of what top-end professional gear was decades ago, so it's possible to to make some form of "professional"-sounding recording with pretty much anything. (I've heard rumors that Skrillex's first few recordings were done on a laptop with only 1 working speaker, and he won a Grammy for that)

Really, it boils down to:
1. Does your source sound like you want it to? i.e. do the instruments, etc in the room sound good to you?
2. Does the interface accurately capture that sound? i.e. is the noise floor low enough and the sample rate high enough?

Could you explain what you mean by noise floor low enough, and sample rate high enough. I am a recording newbie.

I am looking to record loops/samples, that would sound good, to where a professional producer or songwriter would wan't to use them. Homemusicstudio1.com has an interface they say is great, for I believe a little over a hundred.

Well, there is no doubt that this stuff is done on very modest digital gear, but I'd say the stuff I usually buy is several steps up. Try to define the market. Some genre will dig even low-fi. I say give the Tascam a shot. Much of what I buy is probably heavily processed in the computer, anyway - gig ready. Do you have a computer audio workstation ?

The link below is an Alesis Micron recorded as a 24 bit WAV file into my Tascam DR07 via cable from Micron's output jacks to line in on the DR07. Some patterns, rhythms, and random noodling.
(haven't used the 'share' feature of the Google Drive much to know if it'll work right, so if the link is crap, let me know)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BySzwrcyKPNyUG1HRTJwbDB6QzQ

If you're thinking of selling what you do, you're probably better off getting a decent interface and editing software.

Google drive says the 44mb is to big to scan for virus. That may be why I couldn't get it to play

Well, there is no doubt that this stuff is done on very modest digital gear, but I'd say the stuff I usually buy is several steps up. Try to define the market. Some genre will dig even low-fi. I say give the Tascam a shot. Much of what I buy is probably heavily processed in the computer, anyway - gig ready. Do you have a computer audio workstation ?

arcaxis has a sample of a dr-07 synth recording, if that will help you help me make a decision lol. I only have audacity. Do you think it would be okay to use audacity to record along with a quality interface?

Google drive says the 44mb is to big to scan for virus. That may be why I couldn't get it to play
I get that message occasionally also. You should be able to download it and play it in your player of choice.

The link below is an Alesis Micron recorded as a 24 bit WAV file into my Tascam DR07 via cable from Micron's output jacks to line in on the DR07. Some patterns, rhythms, and random noodling.
(haven't used the 'share' feature of the Google Drive much to know if it'll work right, so if the link is crap, let me know)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BySzwrcyKPNyUG1HRTJwbDB6QzQ

If you're thinking of selling what you do, you're probably better off getting a decent interface and editing software.

I very much appreciate hearing that. Is there a decent interface and software you recommend? Do you like audacity?

Bernie did from free samples for new years and they are 16/44. But these aren't polished-up slickness rampant in the producer world. I've bought old samples for my Akai sampler and they are just good 16/44 files. Dry samples expect to be dressed-up the way you like, while wet samples are already kissing pretty.

Bernie's gear and download link;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***otNkj15k

EDIT; that link isn't working for me - not that important

Also Ken MacBeth seems to always have old Fostex disk recorders plugged-in, but I don't know what he goes through for his media files

Last edited:
I very much appreciate hearing that. Is there a decent interface and software you recommend? Do you like audacity?
I'm not up on what's 'decent' as I have an older interface, but where your keyboard has 5 pin DIN MIDI jacks, probably it would be good to get an interface that supports MIDI in that format. This one is recommended occasionally and has the MIDI jacks... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22MKII

You might be wanting to do a bunch of editing on the recorded samples. I'm not sure what would be best for that, so take suggestions from other folks that may know better. Audacity does not support ASIO and thus will not be friendly to the drivers for most interfaces. It also lacks editing you may want to do.

AUDACITY WILL GET YOU GOING< THOUGH> (opps, crappy keyboard)

Older cards may not be so bad. My used ECHO Gina 20-bit PCI was under $10, and a newer Layla 3g was around $70

I'm not up on what's 'decent' as I have an older interface, but where your keyboard has 5 pin DIN MIDI jacks, probably it would be good to get an interface that supports MIDI in that format. This one is recommended occasionally and has the MIDI jacks... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22MKII

You might be wanting to do a bunch of editing on the recorded samples. I'm not sure what would be best for that, so take suggestions from other folks that may know better. Audacity does not support ASIO and thus will not be friendly to the drivers for most interfaces. It also lacks editing you may want to do.

Thanks. I hear cubase is good software.

Bernie did from free samples for new years and they are 16/44. But these aren't polished-up slickness rampant in the producer world. I've bought old samples for my Akai sampler and they are just good 16/44 files. Dry samples expect to be dressed-up the way you like, while wet samples are already kissing pretty.

Bernie's gear and download link;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***otNkj15k

EDIT; that link isn't working for me - not that important

Also Ken MacBeth seems to always have old Fostex disk recorders plugged-in, but I don't know what he goes through for his media files

I am just going to record myself playing keyboard, and let others dress up the samples as you say.

Recording digital, is storing data. All the work is up front with the preamp and converter circuits. You might say the DAW doesn't have much to do with it as far as quality goes. But, I don't know what the situation is, but that recommended interface looks like a good option - as long as there are drivers for your computer and it meets requirements, etc..

Recording digital, is storing data. All the work is up front with the preamp and converter circuits. You might say the DAW doesn't have much to do with it as far as quality goes. But, I don't know what the situation is, but that recommended interface looks like a good option - as long as there are drivers for your computer and it meets requirements, etc..

I tried to respond yesterday, but the forum was down. Would a not very expensive hp pc be good enough.

Back