Tascam DR-05 Recording issues

billypleased

Hi everyone,

First post, be gentle with me :)

I was advised from a sound engineer when looking for a portable recording device both for at home and to record sets in clubs to go for the Tascam DR-05. (He subsequently emigrated so can't ask him) :(

Once bought, I used this to record my sets at home on my DJ set up (2 x Pioneer 2000 CDJ, Pioneer DJM-800 mixer).
I connected it with a double 3.5 jack to single using the recording output on the rear of my mixer.
I played around with the settings and found I had to lower the recording level on the Tascam to it bottom limit and also reduce the volume on my mixer. This gave me an adequate quality mix recording.
I also played around with both limiter and auto level settings but could not better the recording with these and indeed had some worse results.

Now lowering the volume on the mixer is ok at home but obviously in the club I do not have the option of doing this and when connected and on lowest recording level setting, the input levels are far too high and go off the scale for most of the time.

Is there a better way to set this up? Should I not be using the recorder output on the mixer? I also tried the monitor outout at home but would not have this option available in the club as this would be in use.

Thanks for any info on this.
Billy

From your description, evidently the REC output on the mixer is post-master fader, not pre-, and has no separate volume control (that I could see shown in the manual). Only thing you coudl do would to get an attenuator (basically a device with a volume control) between the mixer output and the recorder.

Back