Tascam 788

The skinny

Just want say Hi to everyone before i ask my question and any advice will be much appreciated.
I have a 8 track Tascam 788IMG_20160503_093007.jpg I have a practise room with a drum kit and bass all set up. what i want to do
is record live drum and bass tracks into the tascam and then from the tascam into my pc so i can drop them into a program called magix music maker and possible drop in samples maybe voacls on top of my live drum and bass tracks is this possible is my idea valid is my
idea correct but i have the wrong gear or is this a real noob question
i been playing the drums for some years but home recording is something i would like to get into
Cheers

Hopefully a moderator will move this over into the Newbies section of the forum for you.

Looking at the specs for that recorder, it only has audio and spdif outputs. So you're going to need some way of transferring the files into your computer - I'd recommend an audio interface with SPDIF input, otherwise you're going to be doing double DA/AD conversion every time - time consuming, too.

Hopefully a moderator will move this over into the Newbies section of the forum for you.

Looking at the specs for that recorder, it only has audio and spdif outputs. So you're going to need some way of transferring the files into your computer - I'd recommend an audio interface with SPDIF input, otherwise you're going to be doing double DA/AD conversion every time - time consuming, too.

Thanks for that mate will look into that an sorry for posting in the wrong bit

I used to own the 788 (Man, when I first got it, I thought I was set for life). :D

Anyway, don't try to hook it up to your computer, you can't and you'll only damage something if you try. I don't think there's a way to transfer the wav files because I don't think there's a way to export them. I might be wrong, though, because we're talking at least 10 years. But I'm pretty sure you're limited in that area.

I used to own the 788 (Man, when I first got it, I thought I was set for life). :D

Anyway, don't try to hook it up to your computer, you can't and you'll only damage something if you try. I don't think there's a way to transfer the wav files because I don't think there's a way to export them. I might be wrong, though, because we're talking at least 10 years. But I'm pretty sure you're limited in that area.

Hell thats sucks then maybe i have to find a different way maybe be better forgetting the tascam alltogether and go down the audio interface route.

Hell thats sucks then maybe i have to find a different way maybe be better forgetting the tascam alltogether and go down the audio interface route.

To be honest, it's an old machine. I don't even think it's 24 bit (But again, I might be wrong). I'm not someone that jumps on every new technology, but old and limited is old and limited. Sometimes you just got to let go. :)

Back