Tascam 4 track to Behringer mixer?

Michaelyu5

Hello....My first post. I am very new to all of this. I have a Tascam Porta Studio 4 track and recently bought a Behringer 8 channel mixer. However, I am unsure how to run my mics through the mixer into the Tascam as it (Tascam) requires 1/4 connectors and the mixing counsel has 2, 1/8 cables. I am thinking I can goto Radio shack and make something. I'm also thinking this will allow me to put two mics on one track, making my Tascam an 8 track. Mostly, however, Im thinking I dont know what Im talking about so maybe you dont know what Im talking about...ha....But, if you have any advice how I can use my new mixing counsel in relation with my little 4 tack, I will greatly appreciate it.
Best regards....
Michael

Which mixer is it? What model. We can look it up and tell you exactly how to hook it up.

In general, each channel on the recording mixer will have an input (where you plug in the mic) and an output (which you would plug into your 4-track). Most mixers also have ways that you can send several channels (i.e. several mics) to one output (i.e one track on your 4-track.) That's one of the reasons they are called mixers. :)

You can't make your four track any more than 4-tracks. You will never have more than 4 mixable tracks on tape. With your new mixer, though (and a certain amount of care) you can have more than 1 thing on each of those tracks without bouncing. So while you will have only 4 tracks you do indeed have 8 channels.

Whatever the outputs are on your mixer, Radio Shack has an adapter or special cable that will connect it with your 4-track. Be sure you know what connectors you need though! I highly doubt your Behringer has 1/8" jacks- more likely they are RCA jacks.

But let us know what you have. There may be some special conciderations of cool tricks that we can uncover.

Welcome to the board!
Chris

Chris,
Thanks....I have a Behringer "Eurorack" MX802A and a Tascam Porta Studio
MK II. You were right, of course, I have RCA jacks....Thanks for the info...

multiple tracks on a 4tracker

Actually, it is very possible to make your 4 tracker have a few more tracks, but this involves a lot of mixing down, and bad tape hiss might occur.
Here's what you do, record all four tracks of your song, then mix down the master tape (the tape you recorded on) to a regular tape. Take the regular tape, stick it in your Portastudio, and you will be able to record two mroe tracks (tracks 3 and 4). You can keep repeating this and you basically have unlimited tracks, but, or course, the tape hiss will get pretty bad.
The way this works is: four trackers record each individual track on a left or right channel of the A or B side. By recording one track one both left and right channels of the two sides, you have four tracks. You might notice this when you try to put a master tape in a regular tape deck and it only plays the first two tracks and the B side plays backwards. So, when you mix down the master tape to a regular tape (by way of hooking your studio to a tape deck and pressing record on the tape deck while pressing play on the studio) it only records onto the left and right channels of the A side, leaving the B side blank, so you then have the right and left channels of the B side to record on. Just make sure that you only record on tracks 3 and 4, because 1 and 2 are taken up with the original music.

Michaelyu5

Michaelyu5, I am JUST about to order that exact mixer for my studio as well....except i go straight to the computer instead of a tape. Can you tell me how that mixer is working for you? anything good/bad i should know about it? thanks.

Shackrock

I used to use the Behringer 1604 mixer and model or two up from the 802A for recording into the computer

I just got an rca to 1/8 cord and went out of the tape out of the mixer to the line on the sound card

It was really good and i got pretty good results

Tukkis

Back