TASCAM 2488 has failed...

Resoman

I've been recording of my acoustic string music on and off for many years; originally with a TASCAM 788 and with a 2488 for the past ten years or so. Apparently, the CD burner function of the 2488 has failed, and I'm in a situation where I'd like to be using it a lot, recording demos for the country group I'm playing with. I've thought about going to a desktop based system at times, but it seemed like I'd have a whole lot of learning to do, and hardware to buy. I do have an eight year old iMac that's not being used, I'm in good shape for mics, and I have a two channel mic pre.
I'm leaning toward staying with TASCAM and buying a TASCAM DP-32SD for 500 bucks. I assume I won't have much to learn, as compared to my 2488, and having 8 mic pre's w/phantom power would be handy.
So, how does this sound to you experienced folk? I'm open to suggestions...
Gary,
Elgin, TX

Hey Neighbor. I have never been a fan of standalone units; the flexibility of PC-based recording can't be matched. But, if all you want to do is demo's for the band and you're already familiar with the operation, then I'd say it is a good plan. You might also look at something like the Zoom R16, which is a little cheaper, can act as a standalone, AND can also be used as an interface. You can get the best of both worlds. I haven't used it but heard some good things about it when it first came out.

If you're thinking you might want to do more than just demos, you might reconsider going with a PC based recording system. There is a steep learning curve, but that you have already been recording your tunes, you have considerable knowledge and experience already.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Chili,
Before I buy anything, I just realized that I've just opened a new package of blank CD's (Verbatim brand), at the same time the CD burner failed. It's worth a test with a different brand of CD's before I give up on the 2488.
Gary

For less than $500 you can get a very good audio interface with plenty of mic preamps. Yes, there will be a learning curve. But once you move to computer-based recording, you'll never want to go back to a stand-alone recorder!

For less than $500 you can get a very good audio interface with plenty of mic preamps. Yes, there will be a learning curve. But once you move to computer-based recording, you'll never want to go back to a stand-alone recorder!

I can't vouch for this. ;)

Although I'm an analog fan mostly and do most of my "for fun" recording in that format, I've had to use to digital recording a lot for my work. While I admit that the power and flexibility of a PC-based system is a necessity for what I do, it has nothing to do with my "wanting" to use it at all. It's just that I can't do everything I need to do (for my work) on a standalone.

But if I weren't an analog fan, I would most certainly have a standalone digital recorder to use for my stuff. (And I actually have in the past when I was between working analog rigs.)

I absolutely hate working with a mouse (and almost never do when using MS Word and Outlook, etc.), and I hate turning virtual knobs with one. I'm a total hands-on guy and like to move actual faders. I actually have a little Korg Nanocontrol that I use with my PC rig, and that helps, but it's still not the same. And I'm too cheap and think of digital as too much of a necessary evil to spend a lot of money on a really big control surface. :)

Anyway, my point is that, regardless of the fact that you can't argue with the PC-rig's power and flexibility, some people don't like working that way for whatever reason. I'm one of them for sure.

Thanks to all for your replies!
I'm wondering if the iMac I have would be up to the task of digital recording. It's about eight years old, I think, and I maxed out its RAM at 6GB. I've got a somewhat newer iMac that is my current do-everything desktop, and I'd like to leave it in that role. The newer iMac does have 2 Thunderbolt connectors, I notice. The oder one, of course, doesn't.
So, is my older iMac suitable for the task?
Gary

Thanks to all for your replies!
I'm wondering if the iMac I have would be up to the task of digital recording. It's about eight years old, I think, and I maxed out its RAM at 6GB. I've got a somewhat newer iMac that is my current do-everything desktop, and I'd like to leave it in that role. The newer iMac does have 2 Thunderbolt connectors, I notice. The oder one, of course, doesn't.
So, is my older iMac suitable for the task?
Gary

It's certainly up for it; you'd just have to get the appropriate interface for it, which can easily be found on eBay or CL. Is it USB connectors? Plenty of good interfaces still around for that.

6MB should be plenty as long as you're not wanting to run a sh*t-ton of virtual instruments or plugs.

Thanks, Famous Beagle,
As far as I know, my kind of hillbilly music does not require a sh*t ton of virtual instruments. We're all playin' real ones!
Gary

With my 2488NEO I can transfer Master tracks as 16bit wav files via USB to my computer and use the computers CD burner. Does your 2488 have the same/similar USB transfer capability? If I'm lazy sometimes I'll simply send the stereo mix out of the 2488 to a USB interface and record that in DAW software. I haven't used the 2488 CD burner in a long time.

Supposedly this Teac CDW552G/B/S Internal 52x32x52 IDE CD-R/W Drive, Black Bezel, Writes to CD-R at 52X, rewrites to CD-RW at 32X and reads data at a maximum 52X speed (CDW552GBS CDW552GB CDW552G CD-W552G CD W552G CDW552G000) is a replacement for the 2488 (found this in a Google search) if you're up to trying to do it your self.

Back