Tackling 60 Cycle Hum

TelePaul

J to the R O C
How do you guys approach single coil hum? Is it a problem for you? it annoys me, and it seems that I can always pick it out of a mix unless the guitar is palced pretty low down. I know it's a feature of every single coil guitar but I was wondering if you have any thoughts on how to handle it?

TravisinFlorida said:
get away from the amp or crt monitor. anything other than that isn't an issue for me.

Right...yeah i did work out a way to stand parallel to my amp that helped a bit. What guitar dya play?

just bite the bullet and buy a plasma monitor.
seriously, it's well worth the 200-300$.

c r t = e v i l.

TelePaul said:
Right...yeah i did work out a way to stand parallel to my amp that helped a bit. What guitar dya play?

if i get 5-10 feet from my monitor i don't have enough hum to worry about. every amp seems to be different. i play mostly strats.

ummmmmmmm..........by using humbuckers? :p

outside of that, try the following.
1. clear up any grounding issues with the building's power.
2. clear up any grounding issues with the guitar.
3. make sure there are no dimmer switches on the circuit.
4. turn off the CRT monitor while you track or get an LCD/plasma monitor.
5. shield the inside of the control and pickup cavities.
6. find a sitting/playing angle that seems to minimize the noise.
7. use a double shielded cable. the monster 500 is actually pretty good for this. this took care of the last 20% of the noise i was getting from my single coil strat, tele and PBass while recording DI.

but really, you can try to mitigate it, but single coil pickups are always going to have some noise. that's just part of what they do and why humbuckers were invented. you can always try noiseless pickups and such, too.

cheers,
wade

Back