Syncing

I own an ADAT-XT and a Tascam TSR8, and want to sync them up. I know the Alesis BRC will work, but I only need syncing capabilities. Another thing is that I also need it to sync with a computer at the same time for automation of those tracks via outboard VCAs. Does this mean I'll need two outputs from the syncronizer (MIDI [computer] and RCA [Tascam] which output SMPTE at the same time)? Does anyone have any suggestions as far as brands and models which would work for my applications?

OK,

Something has to keep you recorders in sync whether it be the BRC or somekind of time piece.You need somekind of midi interface that plugs into the parallel port on your PC.This will allow you to send MMC (Midi Machine Control)form your software to the midi interface which the tells the BRC or time piece to sync up with the Master which is your software. The recorders will then play in sync with the computer.Now that I think about it the BRC should have midi ports on it. If it does, a time piece shoudnt be not necessary. I currently have two adats, MOTU 2408,MOTU Midi express,and the MOTU digtal time piece, and Cakewalk 8.01 all syncing up beautifully together.The 2408 core system allows you to fly tracks from you recorders via light pipe, then into your computer software, via digital connection into a PCI 324(which comes with the unit).You can edit them, mix the down, or fly them back to the exact location it came form on your ADAT.The possibilities are endless with these three pieces.Check out MOTU.com

Bill LM Studio Richmond

I forgot to say that there is a sync hookup from the time piece, to the first machine, from the first machine to the second, and from the second to the sound card(PCI).

Back