Survey: Good Recording Engineers

darnold said:
Does a good sound engineer have to attend school?

No. But it can't hurt.

Can he learn most of the stuff by himself or is there stuff that they miss?

Each person learns differently. If you're the type of person who rarely attends class, studies on his own, and still aces tests, then you could probably do it solo -- through some combination of books / research, and personal trial and error.

If you're the type of person who learns better through the help of others or through mentoring, then you pretty much have to apprentice under someone, or take classes or whatever you have to do.

Ultimately, though, it's up to you and how you prefer learning things.

What does it take to make it to the top?

As with anything else, an unrelenting drive and determination. Talent doesn't hurt, either. Knowing the right people helps, too, as does getting the right breaks.

Is it more important to be a business man or an artist?

If your goal is to be an independent, freelance engineer or to own your own studio, then business skills are just as important as artistic. If you're going to try and make it as a house engineer for an established facility, then business skills are probably much less important.

I have to admit that most of these answers I'm giving aren't necessarily mine. I'm plageurizing them from the many countless times I've asked other engineers / producers these very same questions . . . so basically I'm passing them on.

Some of my sources, by the way, include Steve Albini and Blaise Barton, so my bibliography is good. :D

A good engineer delivers a quality product on time and within the budget. How you go about that is just matter of preference and style.

A good engineer delivers a quality product on time and within the budget. How you go about that is just matter of preference and style.

I think to be a good engineer you have to:

1. have a good ear to spot problems that need to be fixed. This includes having enough experience to know what a good recording should sound like, and how to get the sound to that level by knowing your equipment in and out.
2. know how to read people to interpret and implement their vision and what they want things to sound like.

I'd talking about just an engineer, not a producer/engineer.

I think to be a good engineer you have to:

1. have a good ear to spot problems that need to be fixed. This includes having enough experience to know what a good recording should sound like, and how to get the sound to that level by knowing your equipment in and out.
2. know how to read people to interpret and implement their vision and what they want things to sound like.

I'd talking about just an engineer, not a producer/engineer.

Back