Super all around mic

Yes, if you can afford it the TLM 102 is a great mic. I have no personal experience with it, but I'm sure someone else here does.
Some advice I can give you is for you to go and try a few mics for yourself and find one that you like, which would definitely be something worth doing.
:)

I find that the AKG C-414 can be used for just about anything. Lots of different polar patterns, High pass filter, and a hefty Pad for high SPL recordings.

Yes, if you can afford it the TLM 102 is a great mic. I have no personal experience with it, but I'm sure someone else here does.
:)

Not to be a dick, but how do you know then?

I find it hard to go wrong with my SM7b.
They're not even that expensive and if for some reason it doesn't suit you, resale value is great on them.
There's always someone looking a 7b.

Not to be a dick, but how do you know then?

I find it hard to go wrong with my SM7b.
They're not even that expensive and if for some reason it doesn't suit you, resale value is great on them.
There's always someone looking a 7b.

SM-7 is super for rap vocals and male vocals. Not as great on airy female vocals IMO. But you do get great room rejection, which is outstanding for less than stellar recording spaces.

It has been my experience that all mics sound different. It may be impossible for anyone to recommend a single mic because of that.

Let me explain...

Shopping for a vocal mic is like shopping for shoes. Some mics bring out certain frequencies or ranges of frequencies better while others suppress certain things. But remember, all voices sound different too. What sounds good on my voice may not sound so good on your voice. Some may make a voice sound harsh while others may accent in positive ways. It's a bit of a matching game. Another thing that changes everything is the room that you record in. A certain mic may sound great in your room, but not in mine.

The point is...if I recommend a mic that works good for me, you may end up disappointed. Just like shoes, we all need to "test drive" several mics before choosing. Perhaps you can go to your local music store and ask to test out a few. (Then keep the receipt, just in case.)

GC has a no return policy on vocal microphones. :mad: So yes don't run right out and purchase a microphone But knowing the best choices are good know for testing out.

Back