Suggestions on how to record a few instruments...

jesseleiker

Hey everyone;

I was interested in seeing if anyone has a suggestion for my recording technique? I am regularly flipping back and forth between an old crappy Dean Bass on an old crappy Peavey 10" amp...a '79 Fender Strat (that is about to get all new pickups to reduce noise) through a Line 6 Spider II 75w amp, and an Epiphone PR6 acoustic/electric...and vocals. I am using an Alesis i02 Express with the packaged Cubase LE5. I have tried configurations:

1) Strat > Line 6 > Alesis > Cubase
2) Strat > Alesis > Cubase (add effects, etc. here)

There seems to be a lot of noise and a hard time getting the right levels with the 1) option, and there seems to not be enough flexibility with 2).

Do you think my best bet is running through the Strat > Amp > Shure SM57/58 (Stereo or Mono if I want to use both) & XLR > Alesis > Cubase? Is this going to get me the "Amp" sound I want and be able to mitigate my incoming feed mo betta?

always go for the simplest setup, and most straightforward signal chain.

So you think mic the amps would be the cleanest method while gaining the tone I want? I just can't seem to get the tone out of my amp I want when using the Direct Out instead of a Mic direct-in.

yes..
if you're just starting out with serious recording efforts, take the time to learn proper mic placement, proper gain staging, all of that.
it will pay off in the long run.

do lots of homework.

do lots of recording.

do lots of 're-do's'

there is no shortcut to good sound mixing.

Absolutely. I have an "amp box" that basically surrounds my amp with access for mic positioning as I was experimenting with it in a studio...I may just try to play with that this weekend a bit. It produces REALLY tight sound control and I can adjust the amp via my pedal to try to dial something in. Otherwise, I may just start baffling my entire office!

Back