Stutter/stretch effect

Jamie Jukosky

Linkin park and the x-ecutioners use this stuttering effect on some of the syllables of the rappers voice. If you know what I'm talking about maybe you know how it's done. It might be a turntable thing but I'm sure you could do it digitally. Anybody have any ideas? I'll try to get a clip of it sometime soon but I don't have my CD at work.

I'm guessing at the effect you're talking about, but could it be an arpeggiator? This is where the track kind of mutes & un-mutes rhythmically really fast.

If you can think of the name of the song, that'd help.

I'm curious about this, too. Poe also uses it, along with a bunch of others... like N'Sync, at the end of their song "Pop". Is that an arpeggiator?

Not quite... Here, I made a little sound clip from a friend's song (Last thing I'm going to do is ask her producer for hints ;-) ). This is the trick I'm talking about - I'm not really familiar with the groups Jamie mentions, but I think we're talking about the same thing.

Attachments

• insomnia.mp3
    67 KB · Views: 33
Nope. Definitely not an arpeggiator. I'm not sure if there's dedicated effect for it out there (I haven't seen one), but it wouldn't be too hard to do. If you're song snaps to a BPM grid, just grab a sample of the first hair of her focal, and drop in slices manually before the audio starts.

There are a few different VST & DX plugins out there that do this. I believe even Sonic Foundry made a plugin for this.

Sound Forge has an effect called "Gapper/Snipper" that does this.

It's basically just a fancy version of the Vibrato effect on some guitar amps, except it uses more of a softened square wave rather than a sine wave to modulate the amplitude.

barefoot

If it's just amplitude modulation, the arpeggiator would do the trick very nicely. However from the clip, it sounds like a small repeated sample (kinda like the Max Headroom thing).

Back