Studio Speaker Routing

dsealer

Not sure if this is the best place to get an answer to this but here goes.

I purchased the XR18 to use as a mixer when I do gigs, which isn't very often. I've had the mixer for almost 2 years and am about to do my 4th gig. However I use it more in my studio for recording and jamming.

So it has the Main Outs (which I run a pair of EV speakers from) and a Headphone Out (which I run a cable from it to 2 different sources). One source is a headphone amp and the other source is a stand alone recorder (into the headphone out). I'm not sure all of this is technically correct but it works.

When I'm recording and listening to playback mixes I'd like an option to be able to listen to the mix on different speakers. However with the current options I seem limited to the Main Outs and the Headphone Out. I'd like to be able to hook up at least 2 other pairs of speakers.

If anyone is familiar with the XR18 are there other ways of hooking up other speakers to the XR18? Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks,
Don.....

The quick-start guide shows connecting a couple of the Aux sends to powered monitors. You just have to make sure to send whatever you want (i.e., inputs) to those, as well as the main out bus.

Haven't used one of those but they've always intrigued me.

I use a headphone amp for this.

The nice thing about using an active device, or anything with level controls, is that you can match levels between different speakers. The nice thing about a passive device (like the one in my link) is that it should have no sonic impact.

Back