Studio Setup (or computer setup)

bigbubba

Hi all,

First off, I'm not sure what I want to ask. So bear with me.

Currently I sequence drums and bass on the computer. I import them into Acid Pro 4. Once I have them beatmapped, tempo set, volume levels set, and the project created, I can focus on recording. At this point my whole setup is saved as an Acid Pro 4 project. I can come back to it later. I can also specify storage location for new tracks that I might record thru the soundcard line-in.

Once I'm ready, I'll hit record and do that take anywhere from 20 - 500 times. As long as it takes for me to be happy. I'll sometimes like one section of a take, delete the rest and play the rest in another take. If the second recording is on a different day, my AMP settings and volume level will probably be different. But I'll try to hide that in the enchilada of effects that I'll apply. During this process Acid Pro 4 will play all tracks included in the project while recording any noise on the line-in. So I can hear the "band" and record the guitar. I know you all know this but I'm getting to it.

All recording is stored on the computer. As long as I have hard disk space.

Screen wipe....

Now if one is setting up a studio and doesn't want the computer to be the "central" part of the studio but an "auxilary" part of the studio, how would one generally do this?

Where would the drums be recorded. If it is a drum machine, it can just be clicked right there. But if the drums are recorded by a drummer, where would those be generally stored? A digital recorder? Is it as simple to setup a studio where I hit the record button, the recorded stuff starts playing and new inputs start getting recorded? Where is the bass stored? Where is the guitars stored? Can I save them in a "project" and come back to all the setup 2 months later. Can I work on a real quick jingle-bell piece for the holidays and resume my regular work later? How do musicians/home_recorders do this in general.

What the heck, there's so many amps, pre-amps, v-amps, giga-amps, g-string-amps, that I'm get lost thinking about amps alone. Then there's the mics, the mountain of required pre and post this and that. The mic's the line-levels and the mic-levels and the blah blah. Let's not forget the little "insert" or FX output on some amps and mixers, and all the external FX units (rack mountable and other tiny lost-under-the-desk-able units). How does this all work together to give us the "hit me baby one more time"'s?

Track Rat said:
It's a bitch, ain't it? :D
Well I wouldn't go that far. Just a b*tch. Without the i. Makes you feel like you're not using crude language. :) [ok, bad joke].

Alright, so any ideas? How is most people home studios setup. Do most of you do all recording and mixing on the computer?

Whaa?

My suggestion is that I think you need to start out slowly and work your way up to bigger projects. Right now you seem to be overwhelmed. Start out small and work your way up.

And yeah, in most DAW environments your settings will be stored along with the session data, waveforms, edits and so forth.

I track directly to an Alesis HD24. It behaves like a conventional tape recorder and it's WAY more stable than a computer. When I have a band in the last thing you want to do is suck all the good vibes out of the room fighting with a computer. This way is also much easier to set up headphone Q mixes for the band. When all is tracked I transfer all the tracks to computer for editing through a MOTU2408 mkII. Then when it's time to mix I play back from the computer through the MOTU/HD24 combo like a giant sound card to an analog console and I mix "outside the box". This way I can use hardware devices like compressors and effects units plus use directX plugins at the same time, side by side. VERY powerful set up. The best of both worlds.

Mike,

I've used an HD24 quite a lot, and a 2408mkII is currently on its way to me in the post. How do you mix out of the box with it? I understood that all the ADATs on the MOTU were inbound only? I can see that's how you'd get your 24 tracks into the PC, but how are you getting them back out again?

Bigbubba,

Special bonus points to you for the collective noun 'enchilada' as used to describe a number of effects. :)

Nik

Hmmmm ... just looked at a picture of the 2408 mkII backplate, and it appears there is more to this unit than I realised! So Track Rat, which of the ADATs can you use simultaneously?

The MOTU will send 24 tracks in or right back to an ADAT (or Tascam digital for that matter) like device, in my case a single HD24. You just set the HD or three conventional ADATs (or Tascam multitracker or the like) to Digital input, assign tracks in your multitracking software (in my case Cakewalk9) to the proper ADAT output of the MOTU and your tracks will come back out of the ADATs analog outputs which of course are patched to an analog console of your choice. Start playback from the software and there you are. I wouldn't have it any other way now.

That is a REALLY cool arrangement. So with a HD24 and a 24-track Ghost, or even the new Toft mixer, I could have a very 'professional' arrangement with quality converters, stability and flexibility all at once. Blimey!

Track Rat said:
I track directly to an Alesis HD24. It behaves like a conventional tape recorder and it's WAY more stable than a computer. When I have a band in the last thing you want to do is suck all the good vibes out of the room fighting with a computer. This way is also much easier to set up headphone Q mixes for the band. When all is tracked I transfer all the tracks to computer for editing through a MOTU2408 mkII. Then when it's time to mix I play back from the computer through the MOTU/HD24 combo like a giant sound card to an analog console and I mix "outside the box". This way I can use hardware devices like compressors and effects units plus use directX plugins at the same time, side by side. VERY powerful set up. The best of both worlds.
OK, now the Alesis website says:
feature: use the built-in Ethernet port to easily send files to a computer DAW
I like that.

What does the MOTU do exactly. I read a bunch reviews and articles and all I got out of those was that it's an Audio Interface and a hard disk recorder? Does that mean the MOTU acts pretty much as a sound card (in your environment) so inputs can be recorded at the computer and outputs can be sent to it?

Sounds like I need to read up more on this. :) Thanks for your input. :)

Cloneboy Studio - definitely. I figure I'll ask questions so when the time comes to fix up a stereo, I can have a clue. :) Right now, it's "just" the computer. :)

Do we have any other exotic setups, anyone?

OK, now the Alesis website says:
feature: use the built-in Ethernet port to easily send files to a computer DAW
I like that.
Yeah the ethernet port is a cool way to import and export projects between the HD and computer but believe it or not I've never used that option. :D

What does the MOTU do exactly. I read a bunch reviews and articles and all I got out of those was that it's an Audio Interface and a hard disk recorder? Does that mean the MOTU acts pretty much as a sound card (in your environment) so inputs can be recorded at the computer and outputs can be sent to it?
The model I have is the 2408 mkII. It's basicly a sound card from hell. It has 8 analog balanced line level inputs and outputs, a S/PDIF input and output, 24 (in 3 banks of 8) ADAT digital inputs and outputs and 24 (again in 3 banks of 8) Tascam digital TDIF inputs and outputs. It's only an in/out for the computer. It works together with the HD24. I transfer 24 tracks at a time to the computer digitally but in real time. I don't find real time trasfers a problem. I can send back more than 24 tracks from the computer by assigning groups of tracks to the same output like a subgroup. Say I had 6 or 10 backing vocals. can assign all 10 to the same output pair so they appear on the console in 2 faders. And the individual levels of each of those tracks can still be manipulated in the computer so you actually have more control.
And you're correct, at mix down, I patch the output of the console to 2 of the analog inputs of the MOTU and record the 2 track on a new track in Cakewalk, export that to Soundforge to do all top and tail tweaks.

That's a very cool way to work - a really good combination of tactile control, stable recording, on-screen editing and analog summing. Nice one! :)

noisedude said:
That's a very cool way to work - a really good combination of tactile control, stable recording, on-screen editing and analog summing. Nice one! :)

Seems a bit pricey to a spendthrift scotsman like myself....

HD24 = £799
MOTU2408 mKII=£799

TOTAL £1598 OUCH

you already have a computer that can deal with 24 tracks of audio so why not record directly to it? with say 3 DELTA 1010s at £299 each that comes in at £900, a saving of £700 to spend n your mic locker. PLUS you won't be limited to recording only 12 tracks at a time if you want to go the 88.2/96 kHz route...which incidentyis only 45 minutes recordin time with the built in
40 gig drive

Am I missing something?

Yeah - the converters in the HD24 kick the Deltas. Plus I just bought a 2408 mkII for £150 shipped from the US from a forum member. And the HD24 really is nice for tracking to without all the fuss of PCs until editing/mixing.

Good point about sample rates though! :)

well you can't turn yer nose up at the £150 price tag, Nice catch!

Plus there's the portability for location recording I never thought about

Yeah, I was about to order a Yamaha i88x (£700 here, $399 in the States ... no, really) but I noticed the Motu, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The PCI-324 card has a bit of a reputation with PCs as opposed to Macs, but I will give it a go and see if I can get it working.

Nik the prices they ask us to pay in this country are crazy. digtalvillage are selling EV RE20s at £799, I got one shipped from over the pond new for £230. No wonder I never have enough beer money :D

£230? That's pretty good. Did you pay for international shipping, or get a friend to post it for you?

Now that I'm on the inside, and looking at the trade price lists, I can see that it's not the shops' faults. My margins are absolute shite ... so between VAT and business tax, the government must really be adding something in for themselves!

that was with shipping. Got it from a eBay store. The guy marked the customs slip as $50 value and "gift".......very nice of him

Back