which studio monitors

Ghostdriver59

hi folks,
I am looking to buy a relatively small i.e very small pair of studio monitor speakers but as i am limited to space was looking for the smallest pair on the market, for example like the iLoud ones. I am a recording musician so not for audio listening as such.

I have also seen AudioEngine A2 ones which I quite like. But is there a massive difference between what they call bookshelf speakers for say hi-fi mp3 listening and what i would need for recording and 'monitoring' purposes, I mainly record rock stuff and i know from reading various review that folks are mentioning having to buy additional subwoofers etc.

I just want a guide of what to buy on a very limited budget £250 max and which take up as little space on my desk as poss !

I am a hobbyist so they are not the be all and end all as far as top quality sound required but half decent would be nice.

Hope thats not too vague.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Craig

I think you might need to give us a better idea of how much space you actually are willing to use for the monitors.

You really don't want audio and visual monitors sitting on a desk. You want them up to eye and ear level. Would something like the Presonus Eris 4.5 be too big if you added a raised platform to the rear of the desk ?

i guess they need to be near field as the room i am employing is only 8 x 6 feet

Well.....a room of 8x6 presents a number of issues...........not the least of which is where your desk is.........doors.......treatment......do you just monitor there.....etc. I'll defer to some of the guys who are more expert on such a space. I really can't think of a monitor system I could recommend in good faith for that space.

hahah Well, nearfield, as we know it is about small space - in the crowded BBC remote recording truck

Interesting you talk about the Iloud, I get mail outs from IK Multimedia and I have read a few review, and as a small desktop monitor they seem like a good choice. Any one using them here? I was thinking of getting a pair to take out to live venue tracking.

Alan.

Whatever small monitors you buy, you're going to have serious challenges in a room that small, combined with the fact that small monitors don't have any bass output. I think a good pair of headphones will work best for you in this situation. Burn your mixes to a CD or a thumbdrive, and listen to them on other systems to see how they translate.

Back