Studio footage (tons of it!) Metallica: Making of Hardwired

easlern

Boredom artist
This is a full-length film of Metallica recording their album Hardwired to Self Destruct. There's no narration to get in the way- just tons and tons of footage of them producing and recording each song on the album. It doesn't offer much in the way of technical details but it's really interesting to watch their recording process. I had no idea Lars was such a creative force in the band. . .

[Full Movie] Metallica - making of Hardwired... To Self Destruct - YouTube

Can't stand the band, but I can def learn from how tight their tunes are. I often overlook lots of pieces and small parts in my own tunes, and these guys really produce every single second of their songs. Impressed how every single tiny element and moment is pored over. I don't have the patience for that, but I should.

Good find, thnx for sharing.

I find interesting the motif of the studio. Reminds me of my crib only less self indulgent and a whole lot more gear. But you can see the use of things like make-shift plywood baffles behind the drums and shit that makes them feel comfy. Like shitty lamps and tissues. lol.

Obviously there is a bunch of acoustic treatment hidden in the walls that on occasion you can see, but it looks more like a jam space. I like that!

Me too Taras, I don't know much about metal but it's hard to hear the black album or master of puppets and not appreciate what metallica accomplished.

It does look like someone's cool garage, apparently they call it "metallica hq", it's a practice space/studio they built for themselves.

I was kind of rooting for the poor (roadie? engineer?) who had the job of muting strings and came back later to rub Lars' shoulder lol

Me too Taras, I don't know much about metal

It doesn't matter metal or not, the thing is how they examine every beat and measure and go over every detail. That's something I forget to do, and I bet most of us working by ourselves forget about too. What is the hi-hat doing, exactly, in the interlude after the second chorus, how many open hits and how many closed hits... stuff we used to do, or still do, when we played in bands (or left to the drummer, if that was your thing).

I'm often coming up with just chord progressions with melodies over top of them, and then letting the tune come out through trial and error. I'm limited by my own imagination, and it def helps to have a team there to chime in on the structure or alternate vision. Point is, I should spend more time examining my tunes in more precise detail. By that point, though, I'm kinda ready to move on to something new. :)

I think I'm in the same boat as you, I don't really put my head into things, I just loop a punch in/out until I feel like it's good. It's nice having other people involved cause I'd rather delegate the details. My head is more of a blunt instrument haha

Here's an oldie but also nice one.

It doesn't matter metal or not, the thing is how they examine every beat and measure and go over every detail.

I saw that too. But the weird thing is that if you look at the vid i placed now they nowaday's 'compose' more details than they did then.

Back