Stompboxes on vocals

tarpley_jim

This is prolly a stupid question but is there a way to use stompboxes on vocal signal? If so what should i put in between my mic and my pedal board to make it sound right?

stomp boxes for vocals!? I'VE SEEN IT DONE BEFORE! lol basically the singer/rapper/screamer had his own little mixer which the mic ran to it and then he used a boss DD-3 for a reverb/delay through the Fx send/return and had 2 mics on stage so he switched between each one durring different parts of the song....the process can be streamlined by doing the same thing on one mic and stomping the dd-3

AND ONE MORE THING!

CONFUCIOUS SAY DO NOT CROSS POST! YOU PISS OFF FLYING SQUIREL AND HE CRACK WALNUT UPSIDE YOUR HEAD! people are happy to help you man...just dont ask the same question in two different posts

Yeah I reallized it accually posted after I posted this one. I thought it didn't post and thought better of posting it in the newbie catagory because there was nobody there.

ok, back to the question:

there are a few ways to go with using stomp boxes to have fun with vocals.

the big first division is: do you want to put the mic straight into the stomp boxes are deal with the stop boxes later?

to go straight in, i would either use a reverse DI box, or one of those impedance matching do hickeys. go right into the stomp box world and have fun. it's gonna be lo fi. but probably a heck of a lot more interesting sounding than fucking with the vocals later using plug ins. also you can get a great vocal performance when the person singing is hearing all the delays and distortions etc.

the other thing to do it just record the vocals as you would normally, then either as an insert or as an aux "reamp" the signal out to the boxes. you get a bit more control with this method, but lose out on performance perhaps...

i like recording vocals clean on the computer, then using an aux out to fuck with them. distortion pedals and guitar compressor pedals sound 50 billion times better than the distortion plug -ins i have heard.

lately i have been digging puting vocals through a DOD 280 which is one of those DOD pedals from the "we want to be MXR" days. it is optical, has a nice slow attack and a very nice limited bandwith. great as a vocal effect.-

I've done it, but I'm just a hack, so I'm not sure how well it's received in the real recording community. I've screwed around with all kinds of stuff (wah, flanger, phaser, tremelo), but the only thing I really liked was an impedence matching transformer off the mic cable into a Tube Screamer with the drive set low and the level high--really dirty, lo-fi mic pre.

I suggest listening to They Might Be Giants - Stomp Box for homework. I'm pretty sure that's what they used... I mean, the name of the song is stomp box!

One thing to think about is that most guitar stomp boxes have a very limited upper frequency response. Other that you can use them in the effects loop of a mixer.

raxy is right....if you expect a full range...go buy a vocal processor...if your just trying to hit some back ground vocals or something mid frequency..then you should be ok....dont expect the full dollar amount when working with 15 cents

Back