Stereo Recording

Aidan0222

I just got a Large Diaphragm and Small Diaphragm condenser microphone (AT2020 & AT2021) and I was wondering if there was any way I could achieve a good stereo recording of my acoustic guitar using both a large diaphragm and small diaphragm mic. I know that it would be better with two small diaphragm mics, but they are my first condensers, so I don't have any other mics to use

Just position the SDC atop the big one, as close as possible and angle the planes of the diaphragms about 90dgrs.

You will need a pleasant sounding room and have the mics a couple of mtrs at least from the guitar. There will be some image blurring due to mismatched responses but it cots nothing but time to try!

Dave.

Personally with two different mics the results are always a bit of a mess - the stereo imaging just works poorly - however, a guitar isn't an instrument with much width, so with your two mics you could use them to make the instrument wider with some left and right hand detail. It's twin channel and nice - but it's not really stereo, so the mix of mic types is not as critical as in proper stereo recording.

Mostly, when people say "stereo recording" of an acoustic guitar, they just mean (as Rob says) two mics to give a wider sound.

Look at it this way. To hear a guitar in true stereo, you'd have to have your head a couple of feet in front of the guitar. The other way "true stereo" is achieved is in a room with lovely acoustics where a stereo pair picks up lots of reverb from the room and not just the guitar.

So given that what you're trying to achieve is not stereo in the true sense of the word just give it a try and play with mic positioning until you either get a sound you like or decide it's not worth playing anymore. My instinct (not based on any experience) is to use the LDC up the neck and the SDC down between the bridge and sound hole. My only reason for saying this is that the position nearer the sound hole is easy to make "boomy" and LDCs are more prone to that sort of sound.

"Stereo" is a rather variable term. "Stereo mic technique" is better defined, and it's best used for sources that have enough size for a listener to hear a left-right difference, like an orchestra in a concert hall. A guitar is not big enough to need stereo mic technique for a realistic sound (unless the listener has his nose to the strings), so don't feel driven to capture a realistic stereo image.

But using two mics to capture different elements of the guitar's sound and panning them into a stereo mix is certainly a reasonable way to make it a bit more interesting. It's quite common to use one mic on the body (LDC) and one at the 12th fret (SDC). I wouldn't pan them hard, more like 20% to opposite sides.

I would add to the above, if you do pan harder than 20%, you are better off double tracking the acoustic if you want a lot of width (IMO). Using two mics in the same session is just to capture a fuller sound and balance between the upper and lower end of the AG. Panning just enough to give some space.

If you have a nice lively room, put the sdc near the 12th fret angled slightly towards the sound hole and the ldc 3 ft (1m) in front of the guitar. The ldc will capture the guitar as a whole plus the ambience of the room.

Don't be surprised if the SDC doesn't meet your expectations. It will deliver a 'truer' sound while the ldc will be more 'flattering'. You can get a great recording with the sdc, but you will have to work with it.

Experiment A LOT!!!!!!

Back