Stereo Interface Help?

JohnnyAmato

I recently purchased ProTools and entered the world of PC recording, been using stand-alone's for years, a Tascam 2488neo and an old-school Boss BR-8 before that. With the BR-8, I would record "finished" songs through a old-school stereo interface onto my computer for "mastering" with Sound Forge- an old Lexicon Core-2 interface when I had Windows 98, then up-graded to an M-Audio Delta Series interface when I got XP. When I got the Tascam, I only used the interface for monitoring, since the Tascam could simply import finished songs onto the PC.

Pretty cut and dry stuff. So here's my issue;

A few years ago, I got Windows 7, and needed a new interface for monitoring again. Picked up a Steinberg UR22, and it works great for monitoring. But now that I've moved on to ProTools, I'm back to having to use the inputs on the interface, for recording and tracking, obviously. Picked up a new, stronger/faster PC for ProTools, Windows 7 again, and still use the Steinberg UR22 since it is fairly new.

Occasionally, I like to record lead guitar in stereo. After fumbling around a bit and doing some research, it seems the UR22 does not record in stereo. Even though it has two inputs, it only uses them as two separate mono sources. So I'm doing more research on what interfaces actually have two inputs act as a stereo inputs like my two old-school ones did. I do my guitar tracks with an effects board (Digitech) and it has stereo outs (R & L). Again, this is only for the occasional stereo lead track, my rhythms are always mono.

After doing research online, I'm not getting definitive answers on whether or not the interfaces I'm looking at can record in stereo. I'm actually looking at the Tascam US-16x8, as I will be recording some live drums soon. But the main concern is if it, or any other interface, can record in stereo, as my UR22 does not.

Any help? And thanks for reading :)

"Stereo" is simply the difference between "L" and "R" -- The panning part is in the software. You *should* be able to assign "1" and "2" to the "L" and "R" of a stereo track -- which is only two linked mono tracks panned apart -- (there's your backup plan).

If there's an issue with that unit recording in stereo, I have a feeling it's more in the software than the hardware.

Sounds pretty simple to me - plug Left output from you effects box into Channel 1 and Right into Channel 2 of your interface. Arm two tracks in ProTools assign one to L and one to R. Unless I'm missing something.

Thanks for the responses.

That might work, but there's no panning or separation in the sound, even with a stereo effect. When I arm a stereo track in ProTools, I'm still just hearing the mono signal, even with both L & R plugged into inputs 1 & 2. I haven't tried actually recording something and seeing how it plays back yet. With the Tascam and even my old BR-8, however the tracks(s) were panned, that's how you would hear what you were playing, even before hitting record. I don't think ProTools works that way. Something has to be printed to the track to hear the pan settings. I'll mess around with a few more things, but I did read on a few sites that the UR22 cannot record in stereo.

Sorry if I'm coming across as an idiot, this whole ProTools/PC recording thing is very new to me.

Ok just did a few tests. Turns out it does record in stereo, but does not monitor your input in stereo. Tried it on a stereo track, and again with two mono tracks panned R&L. The recording plays back true stereo, but it monitors your playback in mono. That might have been what I read and misunderstood. I like hearing something close to what the final track will sound like while tracking, but at least the finished track is in stereo. Strange, though. Hopefully the new interface I eventually decide on will monitor in stereo, if that's what I'm doing.

Thanks a bunch for your help. And Massive Master, I might be using your services in the near future. I've heard good things.

Sounds like you might be monitoring the direct monitor when recording. It may not be stereo. Depends on where you have the panning on the interface. Not a big deal as long as you get what you want during mix down.

Yea, this interface has no panning option. But again, at least it records in stereo, if needed. Just won't let me hear it until it's physically on the track. Did some more research, and it seems that is the case with this particular interface, strange. Thanks for chiming in :)

Some interfaces are like that.

My first interface was a Guillemot ISIS that was bundled with Logic. The ISIS had software control that allowed you to change levels and pan the input channels for monitoring. Thus when recording from, say, a keyboard with L and R outputs, I was able to pan the channels left and right and hear what I was recording in stereo.

Later I changed to a Presonus Firepod. Though things may have changed since, at the time it didn't have software control of the hardware monitor outputs, so direct monitoring of stereo was not possible. All channels were effectively panned centre. I miss that, but I often use software monitoring which gives me the stereo image anyway.

Back