stereo guitar recording

Besides, there is a good percentage of people on this site that think that when you record something on a 'stereo track', it automatically makes it 'stereo'. You are fighting a losing battle trying to get into the semantics of a stereo recording vs. a stereo mix.

So true...so true. :D
I gave up on that fight...and I had a few of them about the *real* definition of stereo recording...
...but the best I could get even from many people who totally understood the concept was something like....
"Yeah OK, but you know what I mean" ...when they called everything stereo that actually wasn't.

The majority of younger DAW users think it has something to do with two speakers or how you pan your two guitar tracks, or the guy who has a 212 guitar cab is convinced that is stereo...and when I start talking about stereo mic techniques, their eyes glaze over. :p

TBH...for the average Pop/Rock recordings...true stereo miking is rarely a necessity, because most of those recordings are "productions" that involve fabricating/manipulating a sound stage/image. Stereo miking is more applicable when you are just capturing a performance as-is...like classical or jazz...but it can find its way into more modern music, you just have to allow the production to make good/proper use of it...otherwise it just gets lost in the mix.

three channel stereo, and they don't even know it : ) They built stereo amps that could do that for a number of years

In my situation, I don't go out of my way to record dual MONO, but processing(bugger mastering) to tape routing my DAW groups that way is easy to control

Back