Static in my recordings [Presonus USB Audiobox]

Dorian Mode

I am doing my recording through a PreSonus Audiobox (which is I guess their answer to the USB firebox). It's working fine for me so far except for one thing. There is a prominent static hissing sound present in everything I record. I've narrowed the sound down to the box (so I know it's not my cables or my cheap-o mics) by recording into my computer with preamp volume maxed but nothing plugged into it.

So my question is... What can I do about it? Has anyone else had any similar issues with the Audiobox or USB recording devices?

Sounds like an earth loop through the USB cable. Is this on a laptop? these are the worst offenders. If it's a lap top, unplug the power supply and run on batteries, if the noise goes that's the problem.

Cheers

Alan.

Thanks, Alan. Unfortunately, the device is connected to a desktop computer so that won't work. (Also, is it really safe to unground things?) Everything connected to my computer is plugged into the same outlet.

On the Audiobox, there is only one input volume control per mic (both are affected the same way by the static). [There is also a knob that's labeled 'Main' that as far as I know doesn't do anything to affect the input or playback. Everything else is for playback] The higher you turn the mic knob, the louder the static is.

Back