Starting over....

Moonlightmusic

I've been producing gospel music (southern and country mostly) for about 18 years. Full time. In addition to doing 170 concerts a year in the same industry with my family group, The Foresters. We also run a thriving CD duplication company. (Yes CDs still are needed!)

I've produced hundreds of projects all on the Roland vs platforms. Started with the 880, 1680 and then the last ten years on the 2480. I did my last session on that platform Thursday.

I've avoided the switch to Pro Tools (or any other DAW) because .....I was comfortable and could rock the 2480. I was aware of the limitations......and I was chicken....

Well here we go. Here is what is arriving next week:

Protools 11
Eleven rack
iMac i7 32 gig memory 4 terabyte 27"
4T external hard drive
Another 27" LCD monitor to extend
Focusrite 18i20
Focusrite October mkII (8 more)
Presonus monitor station
Avid artist mix console
Avid artist transport
Melodyne
A simple midi controller
3 Audio technical 4050
(Just adding to my large mic locker)
3 sony headphones
(Same)
6 new boom stands
A new 13 space rack
Furman power conditioner

(I already have and am keeping KRK 8 monitors and sub, Yamaha motiff 8 piano, Roland v drums, tons of mics. )

What do you guys think?

I've edited in Samplitude for years so I'm not as afraid of the learning curve. I actually got PT11 a few weeks ago and I'm doing decent in it. Need to ASAP my knowledge to the DAW. Using some great tutorials from the recording revolution.

I'd love to hear some thoughts.

And let me say....I've spent two months pouring over this and other forums learning all I can. I appreciate all those who teach for their knowledge base. I've also watched a zillion youtube videos .

I will be shut down in production if my studio Dec1-Feb 1 to get a handle on everything.

Thanks!

I think you've done your homework. It's a steep learning curve so the 2 months to immerse yourself will be time well spent. Must be nice to have that luxury. :)

I'm assuming you have a recording studio already, you didn't mention room treatment. Perhps you have that covered already.

Welcome to the site.

I think you've done your homework. It's a steep learning curve so the 2 months to immerse yourself will be time well spent. Must be nice to have that luxury. :)

I'm assuming you have a recording studio already, you didn't mention room treatment. Perhps you have that covered already.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks!

Yes ....I have a very well treated room. (Actually upgrading some of that too. I also have 2 vocal booths and one larger drum/vocals booth. So that's covered well. I know the room very well .

As to taking the time off. It's the perfect time . I shut down three weeks at Christmas anyway and we have a massive CD duplication job (33,000 units) that will pay the bills till I start up again. I've been looking for the right time.

Hi Moonlight,
nice to hear of somebody doing well in the music industry!
Probably too basic to mention but if you don't already have them I would add a couple of UPS supplies to that kit list. At least put 1kVa units on key gear like computers and backup drives. I have no idea how much juice the duplicating rig pulls but I would protect that as well if practical.

Bonus! If it turns out that you can run the whole show on UPS you don't need the Furman.

Here in urban UK, power cuts are a very, very rare event (so far!) but even so, if I were relying on power for my living I would have a few units (actually I might treat myself for Christmas anyway!) .

BTW. Don't leave off using Samplitude? I have used and still use Sam SE8, have the two "Silver" versions and have used and would love to have, Pro X!

Dave.

Hi Moonlight,
nice to hear of somebody doing well in the music industry!
Probably too basic to mention but if you don't already have them I would add a couple of UPS supplies to that kit list. At least put 1kVa units on key gear like computers and backup drives. I have no idea how much juice the duplicating rig pulls but I would protect that as well if practical.

Bonus! If it turns out that you can run the whole show on UPS you don't need the Furman.

Here in urban UK, power cuts are a very, very rare event (so far!) but even so, if I were relying on power for my living I would have a few units (actually I might treat myself for Christmas anyway!) .

BTW. Don't leave off using Samplitude? I have used and still use Sam SE8, have the two "Silver" versions and have used and would love to have, Pro X!

Dave.

That's a good idea. Thanks. I have an extra but another would help.

I'll still assemble my masters/master in Samplitude. Love it for that.

Looks like you have a lot of nice and powerful stuff coming.

My advice on getting the swing of things:
1 - Download some completed songs done in ProTools that you can dissect. I use Reaper so I can't tell you where to find them, but they are out there for you to learn from. Since you have a background in it already, you'll be familiar with what they are doing. You'll get to see HOW they are doing it which will be paramount.
2 - Load reference tracks they have a similar sound that you are going for. Compare that to your mixes. (yours won't be mastered but it will still help you tons)
3 - When in doubt, just go generic presets on everything. Once you have your plugin's etc all in place, THEN go back and make SMALL adjustments. Plug-ins can be less forgiving on occasion.

good luck!
~Space

Looks like you have a lot of nice and powerful stuff coming.

My advice on getting the swing of things:
1 - Download some completed songs done in ProTools that you can dissect. I use Reaper so I can't tell you where to find them, but they are out there for you to learn from. Since you have a background in it already, you'll be familiar with what they are doing. You'll get to see HOW they are doing it which will be paramount.
2 - Load reference tracks they have a similar sound that you are going for. Compare that to your mixes. (yours won't be mastered but it will still help you tons)
3 - When in doubt, just go generic presets on everything. Once you have your plugin's etc all in place, THEN go back and make SMALL adjustments. Plug-ins can be less forgiving on occasion.

good luck!
~Space

Thanks for the advice. I like that idea.

I've been recording with the pt11 for about a month now and I'm feeling pretty good . Tons to learn but there are wonderful tutorials out there that I've learned a lot from.

Everything arrived today ! Looking forward to getting it in the iMac and off my old PC laptop.

Thanks!

Back