stage gaining

Noah Nelson

hello im looking to learn stage gaining basics but when i google search i get "4 Ways to Overcome Stage Fright wikiHow" lol. can anyone help me?

What exactly are you trying to find about? gain staging is something completely different than 'learning how to overcome stage fright'/

hello im looking to learn stage gaining basics

Gain staging is very simple: The goal is to keep audio signal levels at a medium level - loud enough to be above the noise floor, yet soft enough to avoid distortion even if you sing or play a little louder than normal. Note that gain staging affects only audio hardware. Once audio is in a DAW program levels hardly matter at all.

--Ethan

For some reason this reminds me of a funny story.

I was in a punk band several years back and we used to play this pool hall bar venue where the stage was a loft behind the bar. In other words it was elevated and the floor of the stage was the roof the bar store room. It was small but big enough for a five piece band to play.

Anyway, one night we're playing this gig and our singer (I was the guitarist to his left) is jumping up and down on the stage which, at this point in time, wasn't very stable due to years of abuse. After about the third song I notice out of my peripheral vision that his mic stand had fallen over and when I glanced over, he was gone! Next thing I noticed was a hole in the stage where he had fallen straight through into the store room below. Needless to say, the show came to a grinding halt. He had scraped himself pretty badly on a white board they had stored in there and, understandably, he was shaken up and didn't want to continue.

After all the seriousness of the situation had passed we were having a good laugh watching the video someone had taken of the show which showed him literally disappear as if being sucked through a port hole in the ground. Next thing one of our friends piped up and said, "Don't worry Graham, all singers go through their stages". ROFL!

Anyway, I don't know why I that popped into my mind, but I had to share. Maybe you had to be there but it was hilarious!

Cheers :)

Back