Splitter

alfugazi

Couldnt I use some kind of mic splitter that will allow me to take two mics and plug them them both into 1 input on my 4 track mixer?

I wanted to try and use this for recording drums the next time I record my band. Any suggestions?

Borrow or rent a stereo board and use it to submix the drums,then send the outputs to 1 or 2 tracks, (should be stereo)of the 4 track.

You can physicly "Y" to mics together and it''l kinda work but there's a lot of things wrong with this plan. You won't be able to mix or adjust the levels of the two mics indipendantly of each other and because of the change in impedence the sound of the mics will change. I realize money is always an issue but what you need is a mixer that you could sub-mix your drums down to a single track.

Trackrat and all others who have responded...Thank you for your input.....

Trackrat, So what you are saying, is that I could use a seperate mixer and route the outputs of that mixer into track 1 of my 4-track? That way I could mix the drums on 2 seperate channels and then route it into 1 track. But essentially, isnt that the same thing I am trying to accomplsh with a splitter (without the expense of buying a seperate mixer)? As you mentioned, by using a splitter, I wont be able to mix the channels independently. How much more of a difference will it make if I use a seperate mixer?

Unless your built-in mixer's inputs are hard-wired to the tracks (I've never seen any that were), you should be able to route two inputs to a single track using what you have. Exactly what equipment do you have? How many total mics are you using for the drums?

PGlewis.....I'm using a Tascam MK2. I am using two mics for the drums. From what you are saying, that would only leave me two additional tracks in which to record on. I
would like to record the guitar/bass and vocals at the same time but it doesnt look like I will be able to. Any info you can offer would be great.

What you need to understand is that your inputs are not the same as your tracks. You can have multiple inputs routed to a single track. Two mics, sent to inputs 1 and 2 (or any 2 inputs, for that matter) should be able to feed the same track. Read your manual and pay close attention to the mixing section. Don't get stuck thinking input 1 feeds tracks 1, input 2 feeds tracks 2, etc...

Sometimes that is the case. That you can only assign to designated tracks.

The difference with the separate mixer is that you can use as many mics on the drums as the mixer has. USE YOUR STAGE BOARD. Do you not perform. Even if you plan on it you have to buy a board some day or rent it.

Record everyone with 2 mics to the 4 track. Just place the mics in the room. This is for a rough mix.

Then record the drums first. He can listen to the music through the 4 track. Send the output of your PA board, (line output not speaker)to 1 track and record the drums.
Then get the rest of the crew in to the record the music to 1 or 2 tracks at a time. Then do the lead and harmony vocals separate.
That's what I used to do when I used a 4 track. It comes out clean and useful. If you try to do it all at once you'll just get frustrated. Take from someone who's done it and been there. These guys can become impatient, while you learn to become an engineer. By the way, you live board will sound better than the 4 tracks preamps anyway.

You can't just split a mic cable without signal boosting transformers and such because there will be great line loss and the signal will be limp.

[This message has been edited by Ears (edited 06-11-2000).]

Ears....PGlewis....Thanks a bunch for all your help. I'll look into this further.
It's rough I tell ya...rough....

Back