Speaking of inserts...

MrLip

In another thread someone was talking about inserts... I have a problem pertaining to this.

First, here's my old setup (when it worked):

Components:

Delta 1010 (8 analog ins)
SBLive
Roland JV 1010

It was setup like this:

SBLive --> Delta
Roland JV --> Delta
Delta -->Monitors

To my misfortune, my Delta is screwed up and I'm having lots of trouble trying to get it fixed (I'm outside the US and M-Audio's customer service is crap. I've emailed them twice in the past month and still no reply.)

So now I'm setup like this:

Roland JV --> SBLive
SBLive --> monitors

The problem with this is that the SBLive only has 1 line input, so if I want to track anything I have to unplug my Roland. That sucks cuz in order to hear the roland's output while tracking, I have to track the roland's output beforehand.

OK, solution: Get a mixer.

Yes. At first I was thinking a Mackie 1202 or 1402 VLZ until I realized one important thing. THEY HAVE NO INSERTS.

If my Delta ever gets fixed, I would like to be able to use it with any mixer I buy. And if I get a Mackie with 8 channels, if there are no inserts, I won't be able to send a discrete output from each mixer channel to my Delta inputs, correct?

The only Mackie mixers (VLZ series) with inserts are the bigger more expensive ones that I don't have enough money for (1602 and 1642 or whatever it is.)

What should I do? Can anyone recommend another mixer or a better way to route things? I'm looking for at least Mackie quality with 4 or more preamps, hopefully less than US$500-600, 8 channels should be enough.

Thanks

Last edited:
what happen to your delta? I know how bad it is to get it fixed in this region.... do they have a M-audio dealer in Bangkok? I know S'pore has one... maybe they can help... www.sinamex.com
(my friend is getting the Audiopile2496 from them for me)

I have a similiar setup to yours.... SBlive, JV1010 and monitors... and I have a small behringer mixer in between... it doesn't have INSERTS as well... so I use the AUX-OUT to send the signal to the soundcard...

another way,
if you're willing to spend the money on the mackie on a behringer, I'm sure you'll get INSERTS... ;)

MrLip said:
At first I was thinking a Mackie 1202 or 1402 VLZ until I realized one important thing. THEY HAVE NO INSERTS.

The Mackie 1202 vlz has 4 inserts, and the 1402 vlz has 6 inserts. Check the Mackie website for all details on their mixers. Look at the photo of the back of their mixers and you will see the inserts. www.mackie.com

Ah yes, I see now. There's a section in the manual about it as well.

Maybe I'll go for a mackie after all.

MiXit: I can't find that model on soundcraft's website.

Thanks.

VLZ1202 PRO (Mackie)

It has 4 inserts but you can track separately up to 8 tracks.
A friend of mine uses it exactly with the Delta 1010.

You can track channels 1 to 4 from the inserts (first "click")
channels 5 & 6 via the alt outputs (mute them and the signal will go to this outputs, and pan them one left one right)
and channels 7 & 8 via the main out (again, pan them)
You still have the cue mix outputs if you need them!

Peace...

PC

Back