Spaced Pair vs. Glyn Johns (+ new mic!)

Seafroggys

Hey guys, I just bought an Re20 on ebay and it came in yesterday, pretty excited for it. I immediately put it on my bass drum to test it out. Then I decided.....you know, I haven't changed my recording setup for drums in, well, since I first built up my studio 10 years ago. I always have spaced pair with the mics pointed at specific locations, and have always been happy.

I just watched a video while bored at work about the Glyn Johns technique. I know *EVERYBODY* knows about this, and a lot of people use it, but I never so decided to give it a shot. THEN I thought....why don't I shoot a comparison video with my old setup (Space pair with Beta 52 on bass) with the new setup (Glyn Johns with Re20). Played it over some playalong music, switching back and forth, then a solo section where I cut out the music and also cut out the track EQ/compression so you get the raw(er) sound (still have buss compression though).

Let me know what you guys think is the better sound. And do you think this is something that people can learn? Often times drum mic shootouts involve a lot of soloed testing, which is useless in a practical setup, and a guy just grooving on the drums without music, which is slightly more useful but still not totally practical. Playing along with music, even though its pre-mixed and pre-mastered, I think offers more benefit.

For those that are also wondering, I'm playing on my Sonor Bop set, so its an 18" bass drum. So it is a smaller drum, so that may affect what you are expecting.

Recording Technique/Mic Comparison - Space Pair w/ Beta 52a vs. Glyn Johns w/ RE20 - YouTube

Cool. 2 seems a little more open. More room sound and stereo spread, I guess.

Although when you isolate them mix 2 sounds like all room all the time.

I prefer number 1 for a number of reasons. There's something weird and honky in the midrange of number 2 that doesn't flatter this mix at all. I'm not sure I love either of them, though.

If you wash that ride cymbal like that at my house, I'll probably kick you in the nuts. ;)

Back