Soundproof Blankets?

bkkornaker

www.bryankmusic.com
Im sure you all have seen people use heavy Moving blankets and sound proofing materials.

Do they work? I just got one that is all cotton and about 8 lbs thick called the "producers choice"

http://moverssupplies.com/MOVING-BLANKET/

does anyone know anything about this one? does it help at all for noise reduction? im thinking of throwing it over my amps cab to lower some of the volume a bit so i can record at home (with a higher amp volume)

Interesting. 'Twice as thick as green blankets? Really don't know which is which here ('green = what?) I have the ones from Markertech' that I sometimes hang between rooms. Doubled twice (with a space, as in one folded over on each side of a door frame) knocks down mids and highs from the other room 'noticably' but in no way is it 'sound proofing'. They do nothing below about 200 or 300 or so. Low end takes mass, there is no way around this.
So yes they will knock down the top end of guitar, but not the low strings I'd guess.

Putting a blanket over the amp is just going to muffle the sound - reduce highs and hi-mids and make it sound like you are recording through a ... blanket ...

After reading the reply below, neer mind. You didn't make clear you were just trying to muffle the volume of the hearable sound.

Last edited:
of course...the mic(s) will be under the blanket.......

im close mic'ing the amp. So ill be throwing the blanket over the cab and the mics......

Im sure you all have seen people use heavy Moving blankets and sound proofing materials.

Do they work? I just got one that is all cotton and about 8 lbs thick called the "producers choice"

http://moverssupplies.com/MOVING-BLANKET/

does anyone know anything about this one? does it help at all for noise reduction? im thinking of throwing it over my amps cab to lower some of the volume a bit so i can record at home (with a higher amp volume)

I use them all the time. They are perfect for this.

i use blankets as a cheap newbie way of sound treating my room. it does make a difference. I'm sure it doesn't compare with actually sound insulating material, but you make do right.

well....the blanket came in, and i was shocked how heavy this thing is! and the material is a very tight weave/threads, with decent amount of layers/padding inside.

I threw it over my amp, and gave it a whirl.....

.......It helps ALOT.

I use an Attenuator for my half stack amp, and with the blanket it allowed me to raise the volume up 2 more clicks (not sure the actual decible level) and the amp was still very quiet........i could hold a normal conversation and still sound louder than the amp.

you can still "feel" the amp being loud (lower bass frequencies), but its doesnt "sound" loud.

for all you "at home with big amps" recording guys....this blanket DOES the trick.

Spam notwithstanding...You might like to hear about a test we did with a 60W combo twin? (2x EL34) .

For reasons not moot here we checked the temperature at a hot spot on the rear of the chassis under normal conditions and running pink noise into a load at 30watts.

Then all the ventilation holes were sealed, even the 4mm wide slots on the chassis. We were very surprised to find the final temperature only some 5 dgrs above the vented state! The conclusion reached was that sufficient heat is radiated by cab and chassis and much is probably lost through the 12" paper cones?

But don't try this at home kids!

Dave.

Back