Sound Trouble!

guitargirl7

I am new to the recording world, and so far have been having the worst trouble with sound and recording.

First, let’s start out with the names of the products I have:
1. Avid Vocal Studio: includes Pro Tools SE software and M-Audio Producer USB Microphone
2. Avid Recording Studio: includes Pro Tools SE software and M-Audio Fast Track Audio Interface

Getting to the problem… When I record, I am always right up close to the microphone, singing at the appropriate levels of loudness that the microphone can handle. When I listen back to the track in protools, it is as loud as any other song you would hear on your iTunes library; exactly the way it should be.
My problem is that as soon as I extract my songs out of protools into wav files, and listen to them through my computer, they are as quiet as can be! I have to plug my computer into speakers that have manual volume control to hear the song properly. The sound is probably more than %50 quieter than any other song on my iTunes library. I’m not sure if there’s a hidden volume panel in protools that I don’t know about, if I’m missing a step in the extraction process, or if I’m recording incorrectly, but something’s not right in Denmark. I’m hoping that someone can help me out with this.

Eager to hear your thoughts and feedback!

Thank you!

Loudness is a problem for many a person entering home recording. The loudness (nowadays mostly) comes from the mastering stage.
I suggest a google search. Or a peek in the mastering section of this forum.

my recordings are always slightly quieter when I put them on itunes but you can change the volume of the track on itunes. If you right-click and select "get info" then one of the tabs has a volume control which you can change. If you've already changed it to full and not much better then I have no idea

my recordings are always slightly quieter when I put them on itunes but you can change the volume of the track on itunes. If you right-click and select "get info" then one of the tabs has a volume control which you can change. If you've already changed it to full and not much better then I have no idea

:confused:

They are quieter because the aren't mastered. kidkage just said that. Yes you can play with the volume control to even out the songs. But that's a hassle and doesn't answer the question as to why they are quieter.

Back