Which sound module/card for recording vocals?

linz1

I have cubase 5 and have been recording for sometime using only vsts and now i would like to record some vocals, i would like to use a SM58 mic, i am using a Delta 1010lt sound card that i have had for ages.

Not sure where to start what would i need to buy, do i need to buy a sound module to amplify the vocals?

Those Delta series cards are solid workhorses. I had a Delta 44 for over a decade, was a terrific card.

The 1010lt has preamps for those two XLR inputs. Apparently there's a jumper on the card itself to choose between mic or line level input, you'll want mic level which is how they're set by default.

So try just plugging your SM58 into one of those XLR inputs and see what kind of levels you get. If it's way too weak, then you might need to fiddle with the jumpers on the PCI card.

What you need is a pre amp , if your sound card has one - great
If not, you can either buy a different soundcard or an external pre amp

I would invest in a cheap condenser , sm58 is a dynamic mic and doesn't fit vocals recording in the studio - except very specific cases

Yes the Delta is great never let me down, i tried plugging in the mic and the signal is weak, but i have not tried moving the jumpers i will try that thanks.

Back