Sound Isolating "ear"phones?

kidkage

Bored of Canada
Alright, kiddies.
I think I know what the solution to my problem is: sound isolating headphones.

Only for drums. When I'm recording to monitor the other tracks. When I practicing to hear what I'm playing along to. And I wont have to turn up the Zune to deafing volumes :D to hear the track and block out the drums.

Since I'll still be listening through my shure headphones when im tracking vocals and other parts, and whenever i have to check a mix ill check on them or the cheapie earpods, ill not need something crazy expense with the most amazing response. Something under $50 with good isolation and decent response.

Anyone got anything?

Sennheiser HD200s are about $30 now and so are the HD201s

Good quality and closed back. :)

G

Ok, so this is what I do, but it's by far the cheapest method to yield good results with...

Go to Walmart or its equivalent and buy a pair of Winchester (or whatever) noise-reducing headphones/earmuffs...the kind people use at shooting ranges and stuff. I think they're actually called hearing-protection headphones. They're pretty good because they lower noise by like 26db.

Then I just run a pair of cheap little ipod earbuds under those, and bada bing bada boom, I get to hear my tracks clearly without having to endure super-loud volumes :)

Ok, so this is what I do, but it's by far the cheapest method to yield good results with...

Go to Walmart or its equivalent and buy a pair of Winchester (or whatever) noise-reducing headphones/earmuffs...the kind people use at shooting ranges and stuff. I think they're actually called hearing-protection headphones. They're pretty good because they lower noise by like 26db.

Then I just run a pair of cheap little ipod earbuds under those, and bada bing bada boom, I get to hear my tracks clearly without having to endure super-loud volumes :)
I like that! Seems like a lot of hassle though getting the wire through the shell of the headphones!

G

I found a set of Shure E5s from some little used music eBay store for around $160. Used the Vic Firth phones for recording drums for a while, but I am absolutely in love with IEMs now. The level of isolation is almost disorienting at times it's so good. Or it could just be that the ear pieces are touching my brain and it throws my balance off *spills coffee in console, trips into live room*

Good IEMs (like Shure E5s) are the best solution. I've been tracking musicians with IEMs for a couple of years and it works great when you need isolation. Not only do they isolate loud sounds in the room from the performer's ears, they also isolate the monitor mix from the vocal mic.

I'm with guitaristic. A nice set of ear buds like the skull candies and a set of isolation phones (headphones/earmuffs). Cheap and works well.

Back