Sound cut out...any idea why?

Dirk Diggler

First of all, sorry for posting this question in Recording Techniques: I couldn't find an appropriate forum to post it in. (Is there a "troubleshooting" forum or something?)

Here's my problem: I was listening to one of my songs recently, when suddenly the sound just cut out. I don't know why it cut out: my guess is that there's some fault in either a) the speakers; b) the amplifier; or c) the interface. (I've ruled out the computer's sound card, because I can get sounds--just not through the speakers.)

How would you troubleshoot this? What steps would you take to figure out what the problem is?

I realize this is kind of a newbie question (sorry about that). I have some experience with home recording, but when it comes to the hardware part, that's not my strong suit.

Maybe HomeRecording.com isn't even the best site for me to ask this question? If not, can you please suggest a more appropriate one?

Thanks for any help you can give.

It would help us a lot if you described the gear you are using and how it is connected together. Without that info, even my glass ball refuses to wake up from it's afternoon nap. :D

It would help us a lot if you described the gear you are using and how it is connected together. Without that info, even my glass ball refuses to wake up from it's afternoon nap. :D

Of course...sorry!

I'm using the following gear:

Interface: M-Audio Mobile PRE
Amplifier: Dayton Audio DTA3116HP Class D mini-amp
Speakers: Dayton Audio B652 bookshelf speakers

My computer is a 2008 Mac Pro.

I have the interface plugged into the computer via USB cable. A 1/4" TRS-to-dual cable connects the interface to the amplifier, which is hooked up to the speakers via the speaker cables.

I don't know if this is the correct/optimal setup (like I said, I'm an audio hardware novice) but it worked fine for a while. Then, after a few months, it just stopped working (so maybe it is wrong).

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

Simple test if you have an MP3 player around: connect it to your mini amp and hear if it plays.

If it plays, the problem is in the computer or the M-audio interface, or the cable from the interface to the amp. In that case, I'd check systems preferences on the Mac to see if the proper source is selected. You could also try the internal speakers on the Mac.

If the MP3 player also doesn't produce any sound, the problem is probably in the amp. I would be very much surprised if both speakers fail at the same moment...

My glass ball reckons it's the amp...

Simple test if you have an MP3 player around: connect it to your mini amp and hear if it plays.

If it plays, the problem is in the computer or the M-audio interface, or the cable from the interface to the amp. In that case, I'd check systems preferences on the Mac to see if the proper source is selected. You could also try the internal speakers on the Mac.

If the MP3 player also doesn't produce any sound, the problem is probably in the amp. I would be very much surprised if both speakers fail at the same moment...

My glass ball reckons it's the amp...

Thanks for your help cyrano, I appreciate it.

Back