Sound clicking after recording 4 mics at once [RESOLVED]

francoteves

Hi everybody, my first question here; thank you for reading.

I was recording a drum kit with 4 mics namely a Behringer C3 (overhead), a shure SM57 (snare), a Behringer XM8500 (kick) and one I only know was a Samson mic for toms (rented at the place). All recorded through a FCA1616 Behringer interface into a Lenovo U310 Core i5 4 RAM using SONAR X3 Pro.

After having recorded it is sounding like this:

I tried to change the latency (buffer depth) while recording in the ASIO control panel from 512 to 768 as less latency caused me problems in the past, but It didn't work.

Do you think is there sth I can do about it? Please don't tell me to record again!

Thank you again.

Something is interrupting your recording.

Have you set up your laptop for audio performance? What OS?

And sorry, if that is the way it exports, then it is likely what was recorded. I won't say it but you know what you have to do.

First find the cause of the dropouts/clicks.

Are you recording to a second hard drive or are you making your C: drive do everything? Recording an entire track again without fixing the problem would be asking for the problem to repeat itself.

Are you recording to a second hard drive or are you making your C: drive do everything? Recording an entire track again without fixing the problem would be asking for the problem to repeat itself.

Man!!! I haven't thought about it. Thank you so much for answering and for the idea. I have a 1TB Toshiba 3.0 USB, do you think it is possible to record into it without problems? Anyways I'll try and I'll let you know the results. The problem is that with the drums is impossible as the drummer and drum kit are not available anymore, hehe. Big trouble I got into! :eek:

I heard I can replace some sounds like the kick with some samples; have you tried this? How can I do it? Not a good idea?

Man!!! I haven't thought about it. Thank you so much for answering and for the idea. I have a 1TB Toshiba 3.0 USB, do you think it is possible to record into it without problems? Anyways I'll try and I'll let you know the results. The problem is that with the drums is impossible as the drummer and drum kit are not available anymore, hehe. Big trouble I got into! :eek:

I would try that. If I looked at the correct model of lappy you have, there is a SSD drive as well as a 5200 rpm HDD internally. That does not necessarily mean that other systems are not using the HDD. Open your project on the external drive. Record 4 inputs as if you were tracking the drums and see if the pops stop.

I am not at home to give direct link, but search 'Sweet Care optimize W8 for recording performance'.

When I have encountered clicking or popping during a recording session, I have gone in and shut down/paused as much software as possible on my computer - browser, wifi, automated backups to cloud services, etc. etc. Anything that will take CPU power. Typically, this has resolved the issue. Something to consider.

...there is a SSD drive as well as a 5200 rpm HDD internally.

...search 'Sweet Care optimize W8 for recording performance'.

Thank again for answer my friend. Well, my laptop does not have that internal SSD, so I would try the external Toshiba drive. I searched with the criterion you gave me; it's incredibly useful although maybe you can give me a specific link that you know. I found some really interesting info, like the part about disk optimizations.

...I have gone in and shut down/paused as much software as possible on my computer....

Thanks a lot for the tip buddy. It had worked to me in my desktop PC although it didn't seem to work on the laptop as I did terminate and close all known processes and programs I knew I was not needing. Thanks for commenting because I realize it's not only me that has this problem. I was starting to think that it had been my interface that was causing the problems.

Dear friends who helped me with your advice and the ones reading this I found an INCREDIBLE SOLUTION!!! When analyzing the audio spectrum with amazing Adobe Audition CC I realized that each one of the four tracks was full of, cliks and pops (I believe that's how you call it); after extensively searching in internet and experimenting I found the "Click/Pop Eliminator" process to be perfect to restore an audio I thought impossible to. Here are three pictures showing the before/after and the audios (kick) before/after.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsdtgy9pptbe2vu/Screenshot%20%2819%29.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rjue91sqxswc1t/Screenshot%20%2820%29.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/alf7z43azfqtx96/Screenshot%20%2821%29.png?dl=0

Audios

As you can see the red lines are the distortions generated I don't know why, but those are removed after applying the process and it worked wonderfully. Of course now the next step is retouching the tracks.

I have yet to try the "drum replacement" method as this was my first drum recording session and the result was not the best. Any idea on this?

Thank you for everything. These forums are amazing for help and sharing knowledge/expertise. I hope I contributed a little to it.

P.S.: How do I mark this thread as "Resolved"?

I'm glad you found a working solution but I feel the need to say it's a workaround rather than a solution.

If it gets you out of a hole this time then that's super, but I'd follow the advice in this thread to prevent it from happening again, if possible. :)

P.S.: How do I mark this thread as "Resolved"?

Oooh, that should be a thing!
It's so helpful when search results are marked 'resolved'.

...I'd follow the advice in this thread to prevent it from happening again...
It's so helpful when search results are marked 'resolved'.

You are damn right!!! This was my first experience recording drums and tink it won't happen again.
RESOLVED, that is just necessary and helpful

---------- Update ----------

Glad you saved the tracks buddy!
I edited that title for ya. :)

Thanks a lot Jimmy. My best wishes for this site.

Back