SOMEWHAT URGENT: Drum Set Lesson Recording - Micing Two Drum Sets

Confusitron

I will be recording a few drum set lessons in the upcoming hours and tomorrow as well. The lessons will take place in a room that measures approximately 12 feet by 14 feet. Two drum sets will occupy this room for the lessons. I would like to record each drum set with multiple microphones, as if each drum set were being recorded individually. The recordings resulting from the number of microphones may not be at a completely professional level, but would hopefully be sufficient.

I have a PreSonus Firepod, which has eight inputs for those that are unaware. I would like to have two inputs open on my Firepod for flexibility for other non-drum instruments during the lessons, since they may be utilized.

My microphone "arsenal":
AKG D112 - 1
Shure SM57 - 1
Audio-Technica AT2020 - 1
MXL MXL900 - 2
MXL MXL991 - 2
Audix OM-2 - 3
Nady SP-5 - 3 (only 2 available)

I am considering having mono overheads using one MXL MXL991 on each set.

I would probably use the AKG D112 for the bass drum on one set and the Audio-Technica AT2020 on the other (each having a lower frequency range, appropriate for the bass drum). If not the Audio-Technica AT2020 on the one bass drum, one Audix OM-2 would probably fare well.

For the snare drums, the Shure SM57 would work well on one and an Audix OM-2 on the other would also work decently, from my experience.

Does anyone else have some different suggestions for microphones? Does anyone have suggestions for microphone placement on these sets?

Thank you for any input.

Since you are recording drum lessons, you probably want to capture every drum pretty evenly. You should do a close overhead technique like the recorderman one that you can view here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFOD1EeKhQ

This should work fairly well for picking up the two drums. After I've placed them I usually like moving around the one over the drummers shoulder until I can here a good balance of each drum.

If you can get an other large diaphragm dynamic like a audix d-6 or something that would suit really well for the other bass drum.

Ben

emergencyexit said:
Since you are recording drum lessons, you probably want to capture every drum pretty evenly. You should do a close overhead technique like the recorderman one that you can view here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFOD1EeKhQ

This should work fairly well for picking up the two drums. After I've placed them I usually like moving around the one over the drummers shoulder until I can here a good balance of each drum.

If you can get an other large diaphragm dynamic like a audix d-6 or something that would suit really well for the other bass drum.

Ben
Thanks for this suggestion! I really looks interesting. However, I did not have enough time to try it.

I did try my method and it turned out pretty decently. Maybe I'll get some recordings up here sometime.

Thanks again!

I'd try having the drum kits facing each other, and mounting a stereo pair of cardioids in front of each set facing down into the set. (and away from the other set.) Add a kick mic for each set and that'll use 6 of your FP positions with two open for other stuff as desired.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
I'd try having the drum kits facing each other, and mounting a stereo pair of cardioids in front of each set facing down into the set. (and away from the other set.) Add a kick mic for each set and that'll use 6 of your FP positions with two open for other stuff as desired.

G.
I'm already somewhat ahead of you!

The kits are facing each other, but the overheads are behind the kits. There is bleed through, but it is not enough to throw off one's ears.

We had a jam last night with the two sets and guitar and bass. It turned out well.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Back