Software to record 1000's of Audio clips

LippyMadrid

Hi there, I am making 40,000+ voice recordings for voice-recognition software that I am developing and I wanted to ask if anybody could advise me of suitable software.

It might be easiest to record an audio clip, and with the press of a keystroke, it would stop that clip (save it, name it as e.g. Track 00001 ) and start the next recording so that I can record 200 sentences at a time. I will go ahead and batch rename them afterwards, but for the purpose of recording so many sentences, I think this might be the most efficient way?

Thanks so much in advance and look forward to any software advice you can pass on.

Lippy

As long as you don't mind pushing the keyboard... Reaper (and any other DAW) will do it.

Arm track
Ctrl R (starts recording)
Speak
Spacebar / Enter (stops recording and saves .wav file in project directory)

Speak

Speak

Speak

Speak

Speak

Speak

etc. At least I think it's that simple, I'm not in front of it at the moment but it's sort of how I do takes...

Ctrl S every now and then to save it all properly.

You can retrieve all the time stamped named files (or set up a different naming protocol) later and change them to whatever you wish via batch means..

Or you can program Reaper: JSFX Programming Reference - Special Variables

Or you could use Audacity as it is open source and recompile with variables for doing the job: Audacity Developer Guide

o_O

You're a bad, bad person!

I mean, yes, if you're going to do something thousands of times, automating it in code is absolutely the best way.
But when your first thought is "maybe you should learn how to do a lot of floating-point programming in a real-time environment!" That's just evil!

Adobe Audition does pretty much what you want working in Multitrack mode.

It records direct to disk so there's no saving at the end. Arm a track to record (you can name it at this point or just leave it as "Track 01" or whatever). From this point on, Shift+Space records. Space stops it and another Shift+Space starts another clip after the first.

On your disk you'll find them labelled as "Track01_001" "Track01_002" and so on You can rename them later.

Audition is available for a 28 day free trial (no function limitations) and after that you can subscribe at about $20 per month so there's no big up front payment.

Could you record them as a long track with gaps of silence between each sentence, then use the silences as markers to split them up (as you can do with drum tracks in Cubase).

o_O

You're a bad, bad person!

I mean, yes, if you're going to do something thousands of times, automating it in code is absolutely the best way.
But when your first thought is "maybe you should learn how to do a lot of floating-point programming in a real-time environment!" That's just evil!

I made the assumption he was already doing that since he was doing a voice recognition program. Something that complex I am pretty sure it is not some simple programming. :)

Could you record them as a long track with gaps of silence between each sentence, then use the silences as markers to split them up (as you can do with drum tracks in Cubase).

I was going to recommend doing that exact thing with Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 ($60 or less). Just hit M between pieces to drop the marker and when you're done, use the split at markers thing to send each piece to a separate file...does exactly what you wanted in the OP. Saves each incrementally with whatever system you define.

That's not a bad idea, actually. Audacity allows you to highlight a section of your track and "export selection..."

Back