Snare sound

rock2dawn

Hey folks: Been a member for some time, but mostly read. Long time engineer, but from the all-analog days, and only have with my Tascam DP-32DS now (but I do have nice mics still). I'm wondering if someone could enlighten me as to how they're getting that squishy, flappy snare sound you hear in a lot of folk rock (and other) stuff these days. It kind of sounds like a loose strainer, and low tuning. But it has more body than that, and has more control in the sustain than loose strainers usually create. And the attack sounds like the head isn't really very loose. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not sure I really actually like the sound, but it has me scratching my head because I was always pretty good at getting a decent drum sound on tape, and I'm kind of sick of the old 57 over an Ambassador... Thanks.

What does a guy have to do to have a conversation here? Kind of disappointing if newbies are given the cold shoulder, like a lame initiation period, especially when they have tons of experience to offer all the new engineers that seem to be on this site. But I know, just saying this will net me even more silence! Oh well, I'll seek someone elsewhere that cares about mic technique and is above the fray enough to talk about it.

Hey man,
Don't take it thick! Your post is 22 hours old.

It's not uncommon for a thread to take a while to get going,
plus it's a pretty specific question. The most experienced drummers/drum recordists that I'm aware of in here are into punk and classic rock....

If you're looking at the number of views, ignore it. They're mostly bots and crawlers.
12 people have viewed this thread so far.

try loosening the bottom head a bit, also maybe use a wooden drum. a flappy sound usually involves looser heads. :D

What does a guy have to do to have a conversation here? Kind of disappointing if newbies are given the cold shoulder, like a lame initiation period, especially when they have tons of experience to offer all the new engineers that seem to be on this site. But I know, just saying this will net me even more silence! Oh well, I'll seek someone elsewhere that cares about mic technique and is above the fray enough to talk about it.

Haha, well I was gonna give you an answer, but now......

Yeah, I think I'm taking out frustrations from other sites on this one. Not fair, I know. I'll be more thick skinned. Thanks for the replies.

Back