SMPTE/MTC Pitch Problems

macca166

Hey guys,

I'm having some SMPTE/MTC problems. I posted in the Cool Edit Pro forum and didn't get any help...I'm thinking that this problem goes beyond CEP so hopefully someone here can help me.

Here's my situation. I have a Roland VS-1680 Workstation at a recording studio that we recorded about 10 tracks per song. We recorded a total of 3 songs. Now we want to mix the songs, but the job has fallen into my hands and I'm am quite familiar with Cool Edit Pro and not the VS-1680. Plus I don't have a lot of time to spend with the VS-1680 as that is in the studio and CEP is in my home.

So anyway, my goal was to transfer the tracks individually from the VS-1680 into individual tracks on the computer. To do this, I setup a midi cable going from my soundcard into the MIDI IN on the roland workstation. I setup cool edit to "master" the sync and the roland to "slave" to it. I set the SMPTE time at 30 fbs. One by one, I copied every track over and it worked great.

Although when I came home and gave the tracks a closer listen, I noticed there were significant pitch problems in each track. Take a listen to the attachment...that is an example of one of the guitar tracks. The pitch keeps fluttering and sometimes there are drastic pitch bends. It really sounds awful.

Now my question is, is there something I was doing wrong? Can anyone give me some suggestions as to why the pitch problems are happening? Has anyone ever experienced this before? After listening to the guitar I posted, I think you'll agree that that is not normal and it should NOT be occurring. But unfortunately it occurs quite frequently on all of the tracks, really making a terrible mix.

So I'm heading back up to the studio this weekend with my computer again. I've upgraded cool edit pro to Adobe Audition to see if that does anything. But does anyone have any suggestions or past experiences that maybe will help me fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

Hmmm....looks like my MP3 is way too big to attach. Please go to http://thebe.jtan.com/~vince/pitch/ to hear the MP3. Thanks :)

I'm not a computer nerd, but have you tried it the other way? with CEP as the slave?

I work with CEP as a slave to the tapemachines and it runs pretty stable to SMPTE/MTC.

Well that was my original plan. Although when you click the SMPTE Slave button in cool edit it then greys out the play/record buttons so that led me to believe that whoever does the master gets to record and whoever does the slave can only play. And that's what I need for my setup...

Although is it possible to record with cool edit while it is slave?

Yes it is, you just enable record on the track(s) and when you start the master, CEP wil automatically start recording.

Back