SM57 for acoustic guitar - with or without windshield?

bigblip

I have an SM57 with a Shure A2WS locking foam windshield, which I currently use when recording spoken word voiceovers as well as sung vocals. I want to get away from DIing my electro-acoustic and would like to record it using the SM57. My question is whether I should remove the locking windshield before recording acoustic guitar (or if I mic an amp to record electric guitar) or whether the impact is too minimal to have any effect.

Going a little further, I also have a Rode NT1000 condenser and an SE R1 ribbon mic. Which of the three mics is likely to give me the best results for recording acoustic guitar? I mostly use the acoustic quite far back in the mix, i.e. it is rarely the main focus of a song, more of a texture.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi there,
I can't see why the 57 wouldn't be fine but you should try all of the microphones for yourself.
They're going to give three very different sounds so experiment and figure out which works best for you.

I generally reach for a pair of SDCs in reasonably close proximity..maybe 12-18" but, as I say...try things out. :)

I'd remove the windshield for everything except vocals - If there's no wind, there's no need for a windshield.
I doubt any of us could successfully blind test the difference but you may as well take it off when it's not needed.

The Rode is going to give you a more accurate capture of your acoustic sound - but note that it is also likely to pick up more of the 'room sound' because it is more sensitive than the Shure.

Thanks Steenamaroo,

Absolutely I will test them all - I was just wondering whether one or other type was regarded as the best choice for acoustic guitar. As for the windshield, if it's a case of 'may as well' then I might just leave it on - if only for the simple reason that it is held in place by a tiny screw which you just KNOW will get lost! Again, I will try with and without to see if there's a big impact. I can't do that until I'm home, though, which is about 800 miles from where I am now!

Thanks mjbphotos. This is actually why I got the Shure for voiceovers for video (video post is my main line of work). I was getting a nice tone, but a lot of room. I don't get anything like as much with the SM57 and I can dial in a little warmth in post. I have just been reading about using both dynamic AND a condenser at the same time when recording acoustic or electric guitar. Something else to play with when I get home.

Thanks Steenamaroo,

Absolutely I will test them all - I was just wondering whether one or other type was regarded as the best choice for acoustic guitar. As for the windshield, if it's a case of 'may as well' then I might just leave it on - if only for the simple reason that it is held in place by a tiny screw which you just KNOW will get lost! Again, I will try with and without to see if there's a big impact. I can't do that until I'm home, though, which is about 800 miles from where I am now!

Fair enough - I really can't see it doing any harm either way and yes, if there's a screw to be lost it's sure as shit going to be lost!

The condenser mic picking up less ambience works on the assumption that you'll be using it farther away than you would a dynamic.
Nitpicking, perhaps, but just throwing it in there. ;)

If you want to minimise the amount of 'room' you're picking up you need to either work with the microphones closer to the instrument, or dampen the reflections in the room somehow.
A lot can be done with basic positioning, though. Not all surfaces in a room will reflect equally.
For example, if you have a bookshelf full of books on one wall, reposition yourself and the microphone so that bookshelf is behind you/over your shoulder.
Same goes for any heavy/dense objects or materials.

If, conversely, you place an empty plastered wall behind you, it's going to sound like you're in a bathroom.

If I had to place a blind bet or reach for one mic without knowing anything, I'd probably end up on the condenser.
Not sure how much that's worth to you.

Good point re mic distance. I hadn't considered that. I do have a deliberately placed bookshelf right behind me! Maybe I need more paperbacks and less hardbacks ;-).

I have been looking into a pair of SDC mics since you mentioned that yesterday. The Rode M5 mics look very affordable and seem to get general good reviews. I'm looking more at the SE Electronics SE5 though. Double the price of the M5s at around £300 street, but reviews are all excellent.

Thanks again for your advice.

Hmm, you don't say BB what interface you are using? See, an acoustic guitar puts out a pretty low level compared to a voice, 2" 'off the gob' . Then, you really can't get the mic closer than a foot or you risk clouting it.

I do recall a few years ago my son preferred the SM57 on his Turner AG over an AKG p150. Less "spikey" he said. I, being seriously mutton, much preferred the AKG! The 57 needed my KA6 at max gain but the noise floor was still pretty good.

Oh yes! Take the gag off, need all the 'top' you can get!

Dave.

Cheers Dave. I can use either a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 or 6i6 or I can go through a Mackie 1202 VLZ4 with its gorgeous Onyx pre-amps :-). By the way, what does BB mean?!

Last edited:
Cheers Dave. I can use either a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 or 6i6 or I can go through a Mackie 1202 VLX4 with its gorgeous Onyx pre-amps :-). By the way, what does BB mean?!

Big Blip. Sorry, old, meds lazy ***er! I have an 8i6 and the pre amp checks out as about the same for noise as the KA6 so you should be ok.

Dave.

I have been looking into a pair of SDC mics since you mentioned that yesterday. The Rode M5 mics look very affordable and seem to get general good reviews. I'm looking more at the SE Electronics SE5 though. Double the price of the M5s at around £300 street, but reviews are all excellent.

Get a couple of Behringer B5's. Well "matched" (big production runs), less than a hundred for a pair. And you get Omni/Cardio capsules. Very "adaptable" mics.

I've got 6 of those for many years. Two of them are dying after a long and hard life, including outdoors use. The only thing is you need to clean the capsule threads with alcohol every three months or so.

I've bought the B5's to use in places where I won't risk my C451's. But I use these more than the C451 these days, because the 451 doesn't agree with many modern preamp interfaces. It's showing it's age, I'm afraid. Draws to much phantom power. Never a problem with old mixers, or the RME interface. But always another problem with bus-fed USB interfaces and also with some portable recorders like the Zooms.

Just wish these mic manufacturers would start using the same threads for SDC's...

Actually I'd already bought the SE Electronics SE8s! Had a couple of hours with them yesterday - unbelievably good, and for once the recording actually sounded exactly like the performance!

My question is whether I should remove the locking windshield before recording acoustic guitar (or if I mic an amp to record electric guitar) or whether the impact is too minimal to have any effect.

Thanks for any advice.

I won't matter. Just leave it on.

Back