Sloppy drums!

Having just skimmed thru these replies and listening to the recording my opinion is, USE A CLICK! Practice with it as a whole group and when you hit record ,dont tell the drummer.
I'm a drummer working on timing. Have been for awhile. Been working with a click and program that tells me when, where and how much each limb is off. Really trained my ears.
The timing is definitely off.
1. The drummers timing needs improvement. He and the bass need to work with a click. You need a tighter rhythm section.
2. Bad timing isn't always the drummers fault. I can hear that everybody's timing suffers.
3. Definitely, every member needs to use a click.
But, it sounds not bad.

I'm a drummer working on timing. Have been for awhile. Been working with a click and program that tells me when, where and how much each limb is off. Really trained my ears.
The timing is definitely off.
1. The drummers timing needs improvement. He and the bass need to work with a click. You need a tighter rhythm section.
2. Bad timing isn't always the drummers fault. I can hear that everybody's timing suffers.
3. Definitely, every member needs to use a click.
But, it sounds not bad.
Let's hope he got better in the last 9 years...

I disagree with the chap from 2012 who insisted on the use of a click. The best, most timeless classics were of a full band recording simultaneously, with subtle tempo shifts.

Now, that band needs to consist of members who have all put in the work with a metronome- that's the rub, IMHO.

Anyway, I think that, in 2012, the consequences of modern music's incessant grid alignment were not yet understood.

Click nowadays is pretty vital - we've got timecoded everything it seems, so playing to click is a really essential skill, however the real skill is playing around the click. We've sort of re-invented the problem from the early MIDI days where the word 'MIDI' was often used for sterile, computer music - which perhaps it was. My concert class pianist friend was so upset when he saw his playing on a grid. He thought he'd become useless at time keeping, and it took me a long time to convince him he was in time, but those grid lines being missed were his ability, not a mistake. Ironically loads of his work came from dance - and he had to hit a very tight BPM and stay there. If you have ever had a real drummer playing an electronic kit you can look at the timing, and they can get the kick snare groove going and really lock it in - but then they will slip or push beats to give the feel. The real skill of musicians is to constantly adapt and play off each other - BUT - it's always the drummer in charge, unless you have one of the big headed well known people who insist everyone has to follow them, not the drummer. Often they just end up with a loose mess. If people pay you to play, you should have the ability to play to a click, or not.

Back