Single condenser mic setup for two guitars and vocals

coloneltim

I'm interested in using the old bluegrass single condenser mic setup for a couple guitars and vocals doing acoustic blues and country/Americana material. I only have two dynamic mics and rather than buy two more to cover the performance, I was thinking a single condenser might be more cost effective and add another tool. I have a USB interface with phantom power, so that does figure into the decision. Thinking of a MXL v67g for this purpose.

any opinions would be appreciated.

Is this a live performance that you are trying to capture, or just a live-sounding recording? How familiar are the performers with doing a 1-mic show? They have to know technique - backing off for rhythm part, leaning in on lead part, same with vocals.

surely using fig 8 would be the best idea for this? something like a Rode NT2-A would be a good choice is you are going down the condenser route

To begin with, just home recording with possible live application after becoming more familiar with the demands of the condenser mic. I've seen bluegrass bands do this. I'm familiar with the theory behind stepping in and out of the microphone. That too will need to be worked out. It just seems simpler technically and less expensive to set up this way.

If you are recording and the band does not have experience with the one mic technique, how much time do you have (in other words how many takes do you expect to do)?
Separate mics with gobos between players/mics to increase sound separation is the way to get a controlled recording that you can do something with when mixing down.
With one mic, your only 'mixing' is going to be a little EQ, reverb or compression to the whole thing.

You have to move around and control the balance depending on if you have vocals, solos, etc. I have seen this done live and it is great fun.

That was great, but it could use more bass.

The amount of bass in the sound depended on the mic being used but remember that being quite far away reduced the bass tones being picked up due to low proximity effects on the mic. Actually when there was a double bass involved they often would mic that separately, so 2 mics in use.

Actually when there was a double bass involved they often would mic that separately, so 2 mics in use.

I've used this configuration for live performances too.

Having said that, I am not a big fan of the one-mike set-up. They used it in the 1930s because that's all they had, not because it was cool or delivered a better sound than some other method.

It seems to be done these days more as a fashion statement.

However, it certainly makes the mixing job easier, and the quality of the mix is totally out of your hands and down to the skill of the performers and their internal balancing.

The amount of bass in the sound depended on the mic being used but remember that being quite far away reduced the bass tones being picked up due to low proximity effects on the mic. Actually when there was a double bass involved they often would mic that separately, so 2 mics in use.

You're killing me. I wanted to see Mr. Bassman lugging that ole bull fiddle to and fro to the mic. Let's work on the humor, mate ;)

I've used this configuration for live performances too.

Having said that, I am not a big fan of the one-mike set-up. They used it in the 1930s because that's all they had, not because it was cool or delivered a better sound than some other method.

It seems to be done these days more as a fashion statement.

However, it certainly makes the mixing job easier, and the quality of the mix is totally out of your hands and down to the skill of the performers and their internal balancing.

Was that "Bluegrass Parkway" visiting your way? They are champs at doing the 1 mic thing.

Hay Bongoboy, maybe they should put wheels under the double bass, LOL

Alan.

Amazing what you can do with an omni microphone, and no proximity effect. However, the actual sound balance, judged by modern standards is pretty poor - with sounds dropping in and out as they move about. For this style of music it works well enough, but those guys were working the mic really well, and it would be very different on a cardioid.

Back