Shure Beta 58A to Condenser Microphone

anoopbal

Hi everyone,

I had a question. I have a Shure 58*A mic and was wondering if I should get a condenser mic. I have read condenser mic are better for vocals. But what improvement can I expect in terms of sound? Has anybody gone from Shure dyanimic mics to condenser and what improvements did you notice.

i have noticed that there is not much high end in my voice but a lot of low end. I dont if it is mainly due to the dynamic mic or it is just my voice. I dont hear much after 5K when I put a high pass there.

I was thinking of going to Gutar center , get a condenser and trying it out before buying it. Thank you so much and happy new year!

Is it a Beta 58 or just a regular 58?

Beta 58's are actually pretty solid mic, and if you think a condenser will get you a better sound because you don't like the sound of your Beta 58, think again. Dynamics are a lot easier to mix as well.

For example, with my band, we did a studio album as well as a live album. The studio album I used my AT4047 for vocals, which is a good condenser for vocals but is more expensive than what most home recorders look at ($700 brand new). The live album I just used an SM57, without a pop screen. And the SM57 actually sounded pretty good. Granted the singer doesn't have great range or powerful pipes, but it captured her really well.

i have noticed that there is not much high end in my voice but a lot of low end. I dont if it is mainly due to the dynamic mic or it is just my voice. I dont hear much after 5K when I put a high pass there. ...
I'd ask how close are you to the mic? It could be that the proximity effect is causing there to be a relatively large amount of low end, but if you high passed you should still have a healthy top end.
That leaves - something broken, or your voice(? I doubt that.
Other directional mics will also have lots of lows up close (condenser or not).

I'd ask how close are you to the mic? It could be that the proximity effect is causing there to be a relatively large amount of low end, but if you high passed you should still have a healthy top end.
That leaves - something broken, or your voice(? I doubt that.
Other directional mics will also have lots of lows up close (condenser or not).

I am pretty close. But I high pass the top end. When you mean a healthy top end Which frequencies should show up? Maybe I am more of a chest singer.

Thank you so much!

Hey Seafroggy,

It is beta. Thanks for the feedback.

My question why do the majority prefer condenser mic for vocals? Is it just the clarity and volume or something else?

The question relates to this;
I dont hear much after 5K when I put a high pass there.
Simply having too much 'low end' in the tone balance is not the same as 'not having high end'.
Hopefully you didn't mean you put the high pass at 5k-- that would be filtering most of the voice frequencies, most of it's energy and leave what scratchy' and above tones that are left.
So how about just filtering and/or shelving whatever lows and upper bass caused by the proximity effect that are needed to counter being up close (that might extend up around 200hz or more, - or... sing 3-4 inches away from the 58..)
Now- does it sound reasonably balanced-- and something that can be fine tuned' from there?

The question relates to this;
Simply having too much 'low end' in the tone balance is not the same as 'not having high end'.
Hopefully you didn't mean you put the high pass at 5k-- that would be filtering most of the voice frequencies, most of it's energy and leave what scratchy' and above tones that are left.
So how about just filtering and/or shelving whatever lows and upper bass caused by the proximity effect that are needed to counter being up close (that might extend up around 200hz or more, - or... sing 3-4 inches away from the 58..)
Now- does it sound reasonably balanced-- and something that can be fine tuned' from there?

What I did was did high pass really extreme lke 300 and now it sound good. The shelving was good idea. That showed me how it sounds better with a big high high pass. So thanks a lot bro!

I had a question about vocal EQ: Why did people always say adding a bit at 5K add some brightness. Why should it be 5K always? When I sweep it, It doesn't sound that good, but I sweep at 15db.

Also, when people EQ which is the most common change they make, like high pass? Do they high shelf the high end (after like 10K)?

Back