Should I use an interface after my mixer to record? Details inside!

biffbiffson

Hiya all, I have a Tascam US-122, the older version, and was wondering if I should run the main outs of the Alesis MultiMix 8 that I have (mono or stereo), into the L and R of the Tascam to record from USB to my PC.

Both would be 24-bit, but I would have to use the MultiMix in 44.1k or 48k instead of its max of 96k to match the Tascam's sample rate.

Would there be any quality loss by using the Tascam after the MultiMix? I noticed an increase in gain when using the Tascam after the MultiMix, but would it be smart to use this combo if the sample rate is going to drop? What would be the benefits of using an interface after a mixer? I've only heard that there would be a "faster" a/d conversion.

Any light on this subject would help me a lot, so thank you very much!

If you run the analog outs of the Alesis mixer to the Tascam you aren't doing anything digital so the sample rate of the Alesis converters is irrelevant. The Tascam just converts the analog to digital at whatever sample rate it can. Only if you are connecting them digitally (SPDIF etc.) would matching digital format matter.

As for quality loss, that depends on the quality of the converters and the analog circuitry. I doubt there's a big difference between the two. Do whatever fits your workflow.

If all you'll ever record is two channels at one time, I'd say toss the Multimix and just use the Tascam. But I see in another thread you want to record more than two inputs at one time using external pres with your multimix, so you should use that.

No need to go from the multimix to the tascam. Just got from teh multimix straight into the computer.

Also, don't worry about the difference between 96k and 44.1k. There are too many other variables in the home recording environment for that to be an issue. Record at 44.1khz and save your cpu/storage/plugs resources.

I noticed while playing around, I can send a mono signal with one mike into my MultiMix, then run the 2 main-outs to the L and R of the Tascam, and record the Tascam, getting a stereo image...

Does this sound right? Or is this just a crappy way to get a crappy signal/crappy quality recording? It's essentially recording a track, copying it on top of itself and hard panning L and R. Is there any sonic benefit to this?

I noticed while playing around, I can send a mono signal with one mike into my MultiMix, then run the 2 main-outs to the L and R of the Tascam, and record the Tascam, getting a stereo image...

Does this sound right? Or is this just a crappy way to get a crappy signal/crappy quality recording? It's essentially recording a track, copying it on top of itself and hard panning L and R. Is there any sonic benefit to this?

No sonic benefit and it uses twice the memory.

... I can send a mono signal with one mike into my Multmix, then run the 2 main-outs to the L and R of the Tascam .... getting a stereo image...

To further elaborate, it's not a stereo image, it's the same audio signal twice. Stereo would actually be two different audio signals.

Back