Should I use a Direct Input box?

"Sustain" is generally in the gift of the guitar! There are some luthiers on the strength? I bet they can suggest some tweaks? Meantime, if it has a bolt on neck, tighten the bolts!

However, how exactly are you running things? If using 'Direct Monitoring' you are stuck with a 'dry' signal. You could use a touch of reverb from the DAW but that supposes the interface/PC system can give low enough latency.

BTW, I do NOT agree that "All interfaces at around $200 are about the same" ? Sweetwater have the KA6 for $199 and that beats any AI I know of at the price for latency, connectivity, driver solidity and bundled/downloadable software. The converters are bloody good as well!

Dave.

Yes, I'm recording the signal completely dry then adding my effects afterwards. I didn't even consider recording it wet, but now it's been mentioned that might just be the key.

Get the sound I want then record in.

I usually record with the output of the guitar going in muted so the latency doesn't throw my timing.

"That's part of getting the sound right at the source. In my previous post, I mentioned a good instrument, the guitar amp and effects are part of that... or in your case, the VST. Get what you want coming out of the speakers. You could be over-doing your audio. What VSTs are you using?"

I don't use a guitar amp, as I don't have one. I plug directly into my alesis io2. That's why I'm worried that the sound isn't sustaining for as long as I would want it to.

Am I allowed to link to a soundcloud here?

As for the VSTs I couldn't tell you exactly as I'm at work, but the effects pedals are via amplitube 4.

Amplitube 4. You should start there to get the results you're looking for. If your concern is sustain, then crank up the compressor in Amplitube.

Yes, you can link to soundcloud. If you click on Go Advance at the bottom right of the reply window, there should be an option to embed the soundcloud link.

Cheers, I've got a few things to try. Also, my mate has the komplete audio 6. He has very good results, so I suppose I should get that. I've also like what Native Instruments though. Almost a NI fanboy.

I listened to the clip for a little. To me you are getting a long sustain from the guitar. I think you should boost the guitar up and find a better balance between instrumentation. None of this would be solved with a new interface; just some practice at mixing.

Elephant Juice is nice. I like it.

Lot of work needed on that, on everything really. Always avoided mixing/producing, just wanted to put together chord progressions and melodies. Now that I'v accepted that I need to learn all this as well it's opened up a whole new world to me.

I agree, need to remix Nebus Gris. Drums are too up front where the guitar should be.

RE: Elephant Juice, thank you.

Last edited:
Your high end is super-swishy. I'd look into your export settings.

If your concern is getting long, sustained notes out of the guitar, the problem is most likely starting at the guitar. Are you actually able to get the notes to sustain that long? That's one of the advantages of playing with an actual amp is that the interference can help the guitar sustain longer (i.e. feedback). You may also want to look into an eBow.

What file format did you export at and with which specs?
If it's a wav, it should be at least 44.1k Hz and a bit depth of at least 16
If it's an mp3, you want to export it at the highest-quality possible. (usually 320 kbps)

Yeah, I've gone for the highest possible as it's mp3.

Except the kHz, stuck to 48khz. On the back of advice from here.

While there might be technicql reasons why it shouldn't be an appreciable benefit, a DI on my bass definitely helped. I found plugging bass straight in to be lifeless, and I do not like post recording amp/cab sims etc--I like my sound out front,going in. My guitars go through analog pedals so they were already getting treated, so the DI was like that for my bass.

I have a follow up question.

If I upgraded my audio input from an alesis io2 to a native instruments KA6, would I

A - see a difference in latency?

And

B - notice an improvement in the quality of the signal?

Thank you.

[MENTION=198195]adosjky[/MENTION] - #ffr I think folks prefer you to start a new topic if it's really a new question, vs. diverting an existing thread.

For plugging in a guitar direct it's hard to imagine that being an audible upgrade, but I've never used either of those, so can't say there's benefit or not for that purpose.

You should be able to record a guitar straight in without latency on almost any interface IMO. IOW, you should confirm the problem is with the interface before thinking that change will help.

Maybe time to post a track and ask for input on something specific, with details about everything you did to record it. (In another thread!)

I have a follow up question.

If I upgraded my audio input from an alesis io2 to a native instruments KA6, would I

A - see a difference in latency?

And

B - notice an improvement in the quality of the signal?

Thank you.

Latency would only be a problem if you applied effects via the PC to the signal and wanted to hear that back from the interface, otherwise you would use 'Zero Latency Monitoring' which routes back through the AI.

Latency gets to be more of a problem with keyboards where you are triggering synth software or samples IN the PC and the AI has to spit those out PDQ, but yes, the KA6 should deliver much lower latency than any AI close to its cost AFAIK.

Sound quality? All I can say is that I have had a number of AIs over the last 10 years or so, M-A 2496, M-A Fast track pro, Tascam 122/144, Focusrite 8i6, Behringer BCA 2000, A&H Zed 10 and neither I nor my son (who has excellent hearing) have ever notice a difference in the sound from our Tannoy 5A monitors...That is NOT to say that with vastly better monitors in a vastly better room and with an impeccable source, SOME AIs don't sound better than others, but THIS is HR and it IS only Rock and Roll!

And no, don't hijack I guess this might get moved?

Dave.

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. Comforting to know where to send my time, and my monies. Ribbon mic obviously. Lol

It's my thread, is it still hijacked if I jacked it?

Back