Should I really be hung up on mic choice?

Seafroggys

So I'm in the process of recording my musical, and I had booked a pro studio to record the stuff that I don't have the ability to record (things like strings, for example, you need a big ass room for that and my garage wouldn't really cut it). One of those things is an organ, since this studio has a real Hammond with Leslie, and I want to go with the real thing rather than simulating it.

The organist I found suggested that he just record the stuff at his home studio, since he has a Hammond+Leslie combo. Its more comfortable for him, and it saves me money booking studio time. He said the mic he uses is an AKG C3000b. Now I don't have personal experience with that mic, but I've seen a lot of less than stellar reviews on it, and I want this project done right, hence me willing to book studio time so I can use top end gear, such as mics.

But his playing is phenominal, and he's comfortable doing it at his place, and honestly, he sent me a sample and it actually sounded pretty legit. So is this something that I should really worry about? I mean, on one hand, if it sounds good and the playing is there, does it matter what mic is used? On the other hand, could it be that much better done with top end gear at a nice studio, considering I'm willing to pay for the time?

Thoughts, both on the mic choice and whether or not I should even fret about this.

I think you're putting too much thought into it. If his playing is phenomenal and the sample sounds good, then obviously he has been doing this for a while. He probably went through several mics before landing on the 3000. You like the sound of the sample, but does it fit in with your work? That should be the determining factor.

I've been using a pair of AKG4000's for concert band stuff recently and really like them. They aren't bright like comparable mics; they feel more balanced for that sort of work. I've also been using an AKG 2000 for my own vocals this week. Still working with it, but I find I don't have to EQ too much. Doubt that will be much help for you, but it's an observation.

I wouldn't put too much stock in internet reviews. The only people who post that stuff are those with vested interest in the product or those who are unhappy with it or kids who want to see themselves talk. You won't get a straight up opinion that you can rely on.

I vote "don't worry about the mic".

ONE C3000????

The entire point of a Leslie cabinet is that it's a stereo source so two mics as a minimum, but probably three or four is more common. Being a phenomenal musician doesn't mean he's a phenomenal judge of quality! Leslie cabinets are not all alike. The big ones are quite home unfriendly so if it's a small Leslie, then it won't sound so good. On the 'proper' Leslies the LF horn section can be recorded nicely with a pair of condenser, and the bass section with just one dynamic as the rotating effect produces more volume rather than panning info, although some people do use two to capture the moving panning effect. One mic is worrying in terms of the musicians understanding and appreciation of recording techniques.

Last edited:
Thanks Chili, I was figuring I was thinking too hard.

@Rob: I think I would disagree with that statement. If I were to record the Leslie I would only use one mic. That 'leslie effect' is generated by the doppler effect, which is most prevelant with a mono source. As far as the room....again, I think it sounds decent, so why should that matter?

I agree that mic isn't something to get excited about....BUT....if you like his samples, then why concern yourself.

I watched a movie last night where the girl was somewhat of a runaround, and she was worried the guy (who was more innocent) wouldn't like her because of that.
He says to her, "I like you now the way are, so I'm not going to worry about how got that way." :laughings:

So yeah....you like his work, who cares how he's doing it.

But...."musical".....what kind of musical? :)

I'd never record a Leslie with a single mic. The sound is far too complex to be considered as a point source sound device. The Leslie doesn't just use the Doppler Effect, like with a fast moving sound source coming towards or away from you. The rotating treble horn introduces movement and direction, so it's really an artificial stereo source. If you listen to a Leslie cabinet with one ear - the wonderful chorus effect virtually vanishes, just leaving the tremolo component. With two ears, the tremolo is delayed in time between ear one, and ear two. Leslie simulators are all stereo too. A single mic doesn't do it justice. I do know people who use one mic and swear it sounds good. I don't think I could say it sounds 'bad' - because it clearly doesn't but it doesn't have the width. Perhaps mixed in with a busy track this could be an advantage, but it's a bit like recording any bigger instrument with built in width with one mic (for example, piano, vibes, harps, times) - one mic doesn't do justice to them.

I guess, however, that if I was short of mics or channels, I would probably compromise on having a mono organ rather than sharing on others.

I don't have a Leslie to go with my Hammond....but yeah, I always mix my organ as a 2-track L/R image. I like to get that movement in the image.

Other than the stereo thing, the name of the microphone used doesn't matter.
The sound of the recording does. If it sounds good, it is. :)

I'd never record a Leslie with a single mic. The sound is far too complex to be considered as a point source sound device. The Leslie doesn't just use the Doppler Effect, like with a fast moving sound source coming towards or away from you. The rotating treble horn introduces movement and direction, so it's really an artificial stereo source. If you listen to a Leslie cabinet with one ear - the wonderful chorus effect virtually vanishes, just leaving the tremolo component. With two ears, the tremolo is delayed in time between ear one, and ear two. Leslie simulators are all stereo too. A single mic doesn't do it justice. I do know people who use one mic and swear it sounds good. I don't think I could say it sounds 'bad' - because it clearly doesn't but it doesn't have the width. Perhaps mixed in with a busy track this could be an advantage, but it's a bit like recording any bigger instrument with built in width with one mic (for example, piano, vibes, harps, times) - one mic doesn't do justice to them.

I guess, however, that if I was short of mics or channels, I would probably compromise on having a mono organ rather than sharing on others.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/recording-techniques/miking-leslie-362723/

I made a thread about this topic of discussion last year, general consensus is that mono is the way to go!

I think you're putting too much thought into it. If his playing is phenomenal and the sample sounds good, then obviously he has been doing this for a while. He probably went through several mics before landing on the 3000. You like the sound of the sample, but does it fit in with your work? That should be the determining factor.

I've been using a pair of AKG4000's for concert band stuff recently and really like them. They aren't bright like comparable mics; they feel more balanced for that sort of work. I've also been using an AKG 2000 for my own vocals this week. Still working with it, but I find I don't have to EQ too much. Doubt that will be much help for you, but it's an observation.

I wouldn't put too much stock in internet reviews. The only people who post that stuff are those with vested interest in the product or those who are unhappy with it or kids who want to see themselves talk. You won't get a straight up opinion that you can rely on.

I vote "don't worry about the mic".

+1 to this.

Though I wouldn't necessarily assume the organist did any amount of experimentation to find that the C3000 worked. Not that it matters if you're already liking what you hear.

If you're REALLY hung-up about it, you might be able to ask for an A-B comparison between the C3000 and an alternate mic. Just to give yourself some peace of mind.

Back