Share your art?

jhughs

I'm really curious to hear some of the work you all have done.
Do any of you post samples of your work on the internet?
Cheers.

Check out the MP3 Clinic on this site. That's where we post our stuff when we feel it's ready for others to critique.

Rokket said:
Check out the MP3 Clinic on this site. That's where we post our stuff when we feel it's ready for others to critique.

A word of warning some of the guys in there are BRUTALLY honest :eek: :D

bigwillz24 said:
That's OK if he is only going in there to listen.

Just don't listen to my stuff. I've been told it's bubblegum rock, so you'll get cavities if you listen to it! :D

bigwillz24 said:

Hehehhe.... :)

I've gotten tons of negative reputation for being honest.

I applaud people for having the balls to post their work, but in doing so you gotta expect some criticism... especially if it isn't as good as you think it is.

Cloneboy Studio said:

I applaud people for having the balls to post their work, but in doing so you gotta expect some criticism... especially if it isn't as good as you think it is.
Heh, there are too many of them posting thinking everyone is going to kiss their ass and stroke their ego. I know my stuff sucks. Hell I've only been recording myself seriously for about 5 months. I have a long way to go to get good at it. And I sing like so many cats with their tail caught under a rocking chair...
What's not to love there? Criticism only makes you look at things differently. You have to kill your darlings and accept that if you are going to improve. Nobody is an expert the first day on the job....

Art? I guess you could call it that!!

I play & record for fun, mainly, but of course I'm serious about it. I've been home recording for well over 20 years, and playing even longer, though I've never become an "expert" musician or "pro" engineer. No one ever sets out to deliberately make a crappy recording, do they? I've been told I suck numerous times, and it's only really bothered me once or twice. I guess I've had my moments of weakness, and I'm only human. My main goal in showcasing my stuff is that people hear it, enjoy it & have fun, not for critical acclaim. Of course, for as many people who've told me I suck outright, the numerous people who've proclaimed their enjoyment, allegiance or fandom have more than made up for it. Listen, be critical if you will, but please enjoy what I have to offer:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/davemania/singles

thanx ;)

Cloneboy Studio said:

Yea I've had my share of slaugters in the clinic...

Of course when I post in there I'm looking for the brutally honest answers.

I want people to tell me my recording sounded like shit before I went off somewhere thinking i was the shit only to have my ass handed to me because my demo is crap. :cool:

Thanks for pointing me to the right place.

BTW, I think it was Lincoln who said something like "One honest critic is worth more to me than a thousand gladhanders."

That said, one can be critical in a destructive or constructive manner; it's good practice to say "You can make X better by doing Y." instead of "You did X and that sucks."

Cloneboy Studio said:

What babies! People actually think they're not going to get criticized?

I love reading your posts in there. It's a nice slap in the face to whoever. :D

geet73 said:
What babies! People actually think they're not going to get criticized?

I love reading your posts in there. It's a nice slap in the face to whoever. :D

Let's face it you could post a track there from a hit album by a band that has 'made it' and someone would criticise something and not like it, we don't all like the same things in the commercial market so it's inevitable if you post and ask for opinions that someone will disklike it, no matter how well recorded it might be.

I recently gave three friends 22 of my songs to listen to and score, and give comments on if they wanted to. Some songs (about 6 or so) seemed to appeal to all three, even though I deliberatley chose people with very differeing musical tastes. Of the other songs, it varied with two liking the song and one hating it, and then there were about 6 or so songs that scored low with all three. i asked them to only listen once, as I wanted to know which of the songs had the most 'instant' appeal.

The most 'popular' songs will be the ones that go first in the running order on my CD.

The point is, you can be criticised for the quality of the recording, or the quality of the music, or both, but if most of the criticism is about the style music and not the recording production then thats about the best you can hope for, you'll never please everyone.

You suck!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Naw, man, just kiddin.

I like the one that goes, "breaking up is our only chance"...

Your friend,
Dave;)

Back