Sennheiser HD201

guitargirl7

I'm looking for a pair of recording/mixing studio headphones, and am just starting out with recording. Since I'm just starting out, and don't have a lot of money to spend on a $100 pair, I read a lot of great reviews on the Sennheiser HD201's. So before I go and purchase these, do you think it's worth it? *Given, I know I'll be paying for the quality. Since they're around $20, I know the quality won't compare to a $100 set.*

Thank you!

The 201's are my favorite pair to use for recording and they work quite well with ipods too. They do reproduce bass quite easy, so keep that in mind when mixing. Mixes will sound bass heavy through them. But its that bass heavy ability that makes the great for tracking (IMHO). If your mixing through them, be sure to use a car stereo or boom box as another reference point. But at $20 a pair they are fantastic. I have around 20 sets of headphones in the $20 to $400 range, so I have tested a few :) . Once you do get some money saved to upgrade, the new KRK headphones ($100) are fantastic. Not as nice as my Sennheiser HD600's, but there is big price point difference too. Some will say the Sennheiser HD280's would be a nice upgrade, but I find the lacking in the bass department and uncomfortable. Anyway Im rambling , the 201's are a great.

I have 4 pairs of HD202s that have lasted 5 years now. Senn seems to have built these cheap headphones pretty well.

We have 4 pairs of HD201's in the studio, I bought them to add to the number of phones as we needed to record a bunch of youngsters at the same time and needed 10 pairs of headphones. I like the sound of them and clients like the light weight and sound of them as well. They also have reasonable sound isolation. The only thing I don't like is the cable they use, it is the type that seems to tangle very easy and one of the cables split where the left / right cable is moulded together so that there are now 2 cables running to the phones, but this is a minor niggle. Best buy for the price by a mile and if I need to replace anymore phones this is what I am buying.

Alan.

Back