Semi Open Headphones ???

PDP

There once was a note
I'm considering buying a pair of AKG 240's semi-open headphones.

My question is: Does semi-open mean sound will bleed out of them when recording with them?

Yes. I get bleed even from closed headphones like HD280 Pros when monitoring levels are high during vocal takes. K240s would be considerably worse.

I'll use semi-open when I'm not doing a vocal, since that's really the only time bleed-out is an issue since you are close to the mic with the headphones. The stuff that usually bleeds the most is the bass/lows/drums, unless of course you have the headphones REALLY CRANKED...then everything bleeds. :D

Sometimes I prefer being able to hear some of the room along with signal in the headphones, and with the semi-open headphones the sound is more natural ...though as always, you have to find a level balance that works, but I've gotten so use to working with headphones over the years that I don't pay any attention to the "sound quality" in the headphones....I'm just using the headphones for cue purposes, so as long as I can hear it, it's fine.

I'm considering buying a pair of AKG 240's semi-open headphones.

My question is: Does semi-open mean sound will bleed out of them when recording with them?

Yes - you treat these the same way as you would open headphones.

ie: don't use them where there is an open mic.

Yes, semi-open headphones will bleed out some sound, and take in some room sound, so I definitely don't recommend using them while recording vocals.

Haha just poking fun :D

Yes, they'll bleed a little. Like someone else said, don't use them tracking vocals, but anything else will probably be ok.

It is kinda obvious, I was just hoping there might be a way to get better sounding headphones for doing vocals than the AKG 77's I use now. It looks to me like you gotta spend 2-250.00 to get good sounding closed back headphones. IDK? Not in the budget just yet.

It is kinda obvious, I was just hoping there might be a way to get better sounding headphones for doing vocals than the AKG 77's I use now. It looks to me like you gotta spend 2-250.00 to get good sounding closed back headphones. IDK? Not in the budget just yet.

Well, are you also planning on using them to mix with? How are the AKG 77s not matching up to your expectations now?

Definately cant trust the 77s to mix. I make small adjustments to the vocal take sometimes, so rather than having to check on the monitors, I thought better headphones may be useful in my situation, but I think alot of guys will say its better to just keep checking on the monitors. Headphones just arent accurate enough.

For checking audio...the semi-open are a better choice than most closed, IMO.
I really like my Fostex T50RP semi-open phones for listening and recording when bleed is not an issue. For vocals I use the Fostex T40RP which are closed. There's also the T20RP semi-open, but I never tried them.

The T40RP is more "muted" than the T50RP, and you have to accept the rolled off high-end (which I don't mind, I hate bright/edgy phones), but they are still pretty good, though the T50RP have a much more balanced, neutral and wide frequency response.
Not sure why a LOT of websites and reviews refer to the T50RP as closed-back, when if they just look at the Fostex website, it's right there - T50RP semi-open headphones. :D *shrug*

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/RP-Series.shtml

My other brand are the trusty Koss Pro4AA phones that I was using back in the late '70s and have about 8 pairs of them still. Serious closed-back headphone, almost like isolation phones. They do clamp on your head pretty tight and can get heavy feeling during long sessions, but that's why they stay on and have no bleed...and they sound pretty darn good.
You can still buy the Koss Pro4AA...they were/are a studio staple.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^fs^PRO4AA

Oh...and Koss gives you LIFETIME limited warranty!!!
I've had voice-coils replaced, headbands...and often they simply send back a BRAND NEW SET instead of your old phones repaired.
Of my 8 pairs, 4 have been replaced for free (only your shipping). You really can't beat that.

Sennheiser HD280 Pro, usually about $99. Great for tracking, useful for comparing to speakers, good for live sound soloing stuff etc.

Thanks, I'll definately look into those suggestions. Appreciate the thoughtful feedback.

If you want to reduce headphone spill to almost nothing, use ear bud earphones. THe little mushroom shaped fellas that fit in your ear. Sounds loads better in the bottom end, act as noise cancellation headphones to an extent so don't have to have the volume really loud and they don't spill half as much.

Back