SD32/Compressors

chaglan

Hi, I understand the theory of compression, but not how it should be applied on my recorder. The comp at the preamp stage is used for what? Comp going in?
Is there a stage where you can use compression during your mixdown or only at the mastering stage? Doesn't this compress everything? I'd like to smooth out vocals and perhaps add some punch to my tunes. What stage? Thanks for being here.

You might use comps on any track or combo of them (single, groups, output) Depending on what you wanna do with this compression you might want to control the peaking or make an instrument or voice feel closer... Anyways try putting a compressor as first plugin and be soft with it see what it ouputs, tweak until you get something you like, reference a lot listening to tunes you like this may help tons. Bai.

EDIT : Oh and i said first plugin but this can really go anywhere in the chain, i have no idea what you're recording...

Hi, I understand the theory of compression, but not how it should be applied on my recorder. The comp at the preamp stage is used for what? Comp going in?
Is there a stage where you can use compression during your mixdown or only at the mastering stage? Doesn't this compress everything? I'd like to smooth out vocals and perhaps add some punch to my tunes. What stage? Thanks for being here.

It seems we do not know what exactly what you are recording with. Sorry for my previous pun post.

Please give more exact info as to what you are trying to do. Compression is something that is a not possible to give settings for or where it is necessary. You have to make those decisions yourself depending on what you hear that any given source needs. Sorry if it sounds vague, but your question was also.

Gadds, I got tractors' too. Glad it wasn't just me. There was a Tascam 'ds or something.. maybe?

Back