Scarlett 2i2 and Shure SM57 very low volume on acoustic on recommended setting.

Actually, that sounds very much what I'd expect from an SM57--not bad at all. (And I like your playing--you're good mate!). I think you might get a slight improvement in tone if you moved the mic slightly down the neck, i.e. a bit closer to the sound hole. As we've said before, around the 12th fret is the usual starting point.

My one concern is the level. The recording you sent is actually about the right level to aim for but you shouldn't really have to crank the interface to 100% to get it, especially at 8 inches distance. Perhaps you just have a quiet guitar or quiet style but, even with a 57 I'm not used to having to add that much gain (but I don't own a Focusrite so maybe that's normal? Over to Focusrite owners to express and opinion).

Actually, that sounds very much what I'd expect from an SM57--not bad at all. (And I like your playing--you're good mate!). I think you might get a slight improvement in tone if you moved the mic slightly down the neck, i.e. a bit closer to the sound hole. As we've said before, around the 12th fret is the usual starting point.

My one concern is the level. The recording you sent is actually about the right level to aim for but you shouldn't really have to crank the interface to 100% to get it, especially at 8 inches distance. Perhaps you just have a quiet guitar or quiet style but, even with a 57 I'm not used to having to add that much gain (but I don't own a Focusrite so maybe that's normal? Over to Focusrite owners to express and opinion).

Thanks buddy :)
I was able to get this level of sound just by putting maximum gain in AI.. If i didn't put on the gain 100%, or if my gain was somewhere around 90%, my sound level would decrease by 50%. That was my main problem actually..
Thanks.

I'm quite a hard picker, maybe that's why my clip was louder than yours. I did add 6dB in the DAW as well

Yes, apart from some cracking playing the levels are spot on.

Average at -20 to -18ish and absolute peak at -7dBFS. It does not really matter "where the knobs are"! If you are getting a clean, noise free result that is all that matters.

See, mics and DAWs and interfaces are STUPID. We can home in on a sound and say "Ooo! Nice bit 'o' guitar" Electronics cannot do that and we are then surprised at how little notice it takes of our magnificence!

I notice (from Anny Lyser, ears are no effing good!) that there is next to buggerall past 5kHz and very little of that. Don't think that is MP3 trashing the signal, new strings mayhap?

The new mic will shed more light.

Dave.

Attachments

• demopickin levels.png
    demopickin levels.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 19
Thanks buddy :)
I was able to get this level of sound just by putting maximum gain in AI.. If i didn't put on the gain 100%, or if my gain was somewhere around 90%, my sound level would decrease by 50%. That was my main problem actually..
Thanks.

I seen a few reports that the top end of the gain pots on 2i2's increased quite quickly in the range you're speaking of, a small difference in position resulted in a large change in the amount of gain and it may be a bit touchy to set.
Your sample sounds good and do try experimenting with different mic positions around the soundhole and 12th fret as suggested.

Well that sure is lovely playing there Chuku!

The clip you posted has a fine volume and doesn't sound thin.

I have the Focusrite 2i4 at home and a Shure sm58...similar to your 2i2 and 57...I could try some kind of fingerpicking thing and see what gain % I have to set to get a similar volume. I'll report back if you like.

Agreed it was a lovely recording.

Just to be pedantic, I always get worried when somebody refers to a recommended setting for gain controls. The only recommended setting I worry about is one that gives me a proper (see all the advice above) level on the recording. As long as your interface (or mixer) can provide sufficient low noise gain, it doesn't matter whether the knob is half way up or at maximum (or, with some high output mics, down near zero).

Back