Sample rate for mastering

K

Hi, I'm new on here.
My band is going to record and release a demo cd(not burn cd's by using computer, we're going to make copy by factory). By using Cool Edit Pro,i have a question about setting the sample rate before recording, do I need to considerate this about the mastering, so which format of file/sample rate we should give to the mastering studio?
And can anyone tell me more about mastering, i want to know more about this porcess, Thanks a lot!

K,

Always record at the highest bit and sample rate as your software will allow. I also use Cool Edit, and I record at 32 bit, and at 48,000. The reason being, if you do any editing in Cool Edit, your files will turn out better if you record, and edit in the highest sample rate possible.
Yes you will eventually have to convert to 16 bit, 44,100 sample rate to burn to CD, but your sound quality will be much higher because you originally recorded and edited at a higher sample rate, than editing at the 44,100.
As far as mastering.......well what should I say..you are talking about a subject that volumes could be written on.....Check out the articles on the Homerecording.com home page by Ed Rei..they give you a good understanding of what mastering involves, and acomplishes.

Good Luck on your project,

Heat

[This message has been edited by Heat (edited 05-20-2000).]

ooopps...I hope I edited that before Ed reads this...I think I mixed Ed Rei..and Bill Nei the science guy together.......Sorry........

Oh man! Don't let Ed see that. He really hates it when people get him mixed up with Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Back