Saffire pro 40 no latency, HOW when over dubbing?

delirium trigge

I understand the way the no latency works with saffire pro 40. But how does it work when over dubbing? Wouldn't the tracks being played back through the saffire pro 40 that I'm recording a track over have latency to them or does routing them through the mix control software cause them to have no latency?

I understand the way the no latency works with saffire pro 40. But how does it work when over dubbing? Wouldn't the tracks being played back through the saffire pro 40 that I'm recording a track over have latency to them or does routing them through the mix control software cause them to have no latency?

Low latency input monitoring makes it so you can hear your live playing/singing without delay. Record latency is different and is solved by the DAW knowing how much to compensate for the play/record loop delay. It writes the newly recorded track to the right place on the timeline. If it gets it wrong you can manually adjust it in most DAWs.

There is always SOME latency (it does take time for a signal to move down the wires and be processed).

But it's so small in modern interfaces that you cannot detect it.

Dont worry about it.

Okay, I am not new to recording, so I understand latency, but new to the "no latency" saffire mix control way of recording. Today, we did our first recording without monitoring what we were playing through the DAW. We monitored it through the saffire. There was no noticeable latency. But there isn't really any noticeable latency with the DAW way either, although I do believe it adds about 8.6 seconds round trip. We like to be perfect with the click track so we just did it this way.

It worked great. The only thing we had to do was mute the tracks as we recorded them in the DAW. Or else you will get the doubling effect, and you can hear the millisecond of latency from the DAW coming through. Those 8 milliseconds I realize is not even noticeable while recording but why not go with even less if I can? So I did.

I don't think I would buy any product that didn't have this in between mixer software like the Focusrite stuff now that I see how everything works.

It also made it easier to route things and control what controls what. For example, output 1-2 are my main monitors. Mix L and Mix R. I also have MIx L and Mix R in output 3 and 4 and that allows me to run to another set of monitors, I have another output to a headphone amp. And it allows me to pick how the volume is controlled.

It also is making using outboard gear a whole lot easier. I can route the compressor on screen, and make sure the volume is turned to the gray position so it's not controlled by the volume knobs. I love this thing.

Back